PDA

View Full Version : New 34 Gal Solona Aquarium Set Up thread

Devtech
12/07/2007, 10:21 PM
Ok so i finally went ahead and dished out the money for a new tank for the project ive been wanting to do

this tank package was really a great deal for what i was looking for::

Included with Tank for 749.99:
150w HQI 14k Bulb and Pendant

Protein Skimmer

Built In Top Off Bottles

and LFS included the Koralia 1x2 for free!!!

here are some pictures of the tank already set up, i dont have any pictures of setting it up since it came already built.

Heres a Front View:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00415.jpg

A Shot Of The Auto Top Off Bottles:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00420.jpg

A Shot of Skimmer Area:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00419.jpg

Shot With MH's on 14k Bulb:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00422.jpg

the lights are little too blue for me but they will do for now, any suggestions on which bulb to get when its time to replace?

hifoo
12/07/2007, 11:19 PM
Nice looking tank, Keep us updated, if the 14k bulb is too blue for your liking go with a 10k when you goto replace it.

Devtech
12/07/2007, 11:22 PM
yea i was thinking of a 10k lighting, but maybe its just way too blue now since theres no water. yea i fell in love witht eh look of the tank i was looking at this one and the red sea max and decided on this one since it was a rimless tank and had the MH lighting included. i should have the water here tommorow along with some rock, im going BB for this one.

dailydriven911
12/08/2007, 03:56 PM
I'm also looking at picking one of these up. The only thing that concerns me is the skimmer quality (hopefully it's modable/replaceable) and I would take the bio balls out of the system. Looks good though, what are your ideas for the tank? Fish list, corals, etc.

Thanks!

zma21
12/08/2007, 04:48 PM
10k will be too yellow after you're used to that color.

I say 12k reeflux.

Devtech
12/08/2007, 04:59 PM
well looking at the skimmer it actually isnt even that great, im ordering the tunze nano skimmer..hopefully it fits, but i think the only reason that the skimmer isnt so good is because the air hose has no valve its just wide open.

i have filled the tank already and have the LR in there, i replaced the bio balls with rock rubble. The lights arent as blue anymore though thank god

thank you for all the comments.

Devtech
12/08/2007, 05:08 PM
and the updates:

Me Filling The Tank While My Lazy Friend Watches!
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00427.jpg

The Water and LR in and ready to go!
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00429.jpg

gsusfreak
12/08/2007, 10:02 PM
i actually saw this setup today at my LFS....and man, i really like it!......i think i would choose this setup over the RSM

zma21
12/09/2007, 10:36 AM
Looks great!

I'd also choose this over the red sea max in a heartbeat.

Devtech
12/09/2007, 11:22 AM
gsusfreak and zma21: THANKS! hehe well reason i chose this was cause of the lighting, but i think the stand from the RSM looks better hands down, but its probably still p.i.t.a. to build.

reefman13
12/09/2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, great setup. And I third the choice over the Red Sea max. This is much sleeker, and allows for more customization.

Devtech
12/09/2007, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347368#post11347368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13
Yeah, great setup. And I third the choice over the Red Sea max. This is much sleeker, and allows for more customization.

thanks reefman, heres a quick question will one recommend a starfish for a BB tank? im guessing it will help me by eatin detritus in the areas where the flow isnt as strong?

i was thinking a orange common starfish..

gsusfreak
12/09/2007, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347276#post11347276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Devtech
gsusfreak and zma21: THANKS! hehe well reason i chose this was cause of the lighting, but i think the stand from the RSM looks better hands down, but its probably still p.i.t.a. to build.

yea, i like those RSM's too....but its the hanging light that sold me...hehe...im a geek for quirky stuff like that

King-Kong
12/09/2007, 12:45 PM
Sweet rig devtech;

Realize that life as BB will be much easier with you finding a way of removing detritus ASAP.

I dont know what kind of skimmer this thing has, but chances are it's not a good one. I wouldn't rely on it as the basis for your detritus removal (as lots of BBs do).

Instead, you're gonna have to rely on either siphoning, or some kind of filter sock. I dont know how this thing looks behind, but I dont take it that there is a spot for you to add a filter sock that can easily be changed every 2-3 days.

If not, I think you're left with siphoning, so what's gonna be most important is that you direct your flow in such a way that the detritus piles up in one area of the tank, that is easy for you to access, so you can throw a thick rigid pipe down there and siphon out a bit of poop... if done right, you wont have to waste more than 1/4 of a gallon of water, or less, to remove all the poop.

Certain things to consider for this are:

-extend the locline tubing coming out of the back so that those nozzles practically reach the bottom of the tank.

-aim the koralia's so they keep detritus off the bottom, or in a specific corner.

For cleanup crew, I would recommend cerith snails with astrea snails. The ceriths love sitting in piles of detritus and processing it to be lighter and fluffy... most of the detritus will actually be poop from your Astreas, and that can be pretty heavy.

What kind of corals were you hoping to keep?

In my 90g right now I have SPS a long the top, LPS directly underneath them, and then mushrooms and zoanthids on the bottom.. all thriving.

They all want the same thing: low phosphates, some nitrogen (fish poop is a great source), and lots of carbon (kalkwasser, for example)... combine that with good flow to bring these building blocks to them, and then a modest amount of light (which i think yours is perfect for) and you should have success.

jonathanws
12/09/2007, 12:46 PM
when you put your hands in the tank do you find that the water overflows all too easily over the back corners?

Devtech
12/09/2007, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347770#post11347770 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
Sweet rig devtech;

Realize that life as BB will be much easier with you finding a way of removing detritus ASAP.

I dont know what kind of skimmer this thing has, but chances are it's not a good one. I wouldn't rely on it as the basis for your detritus removal (as lots of BBs do).

Instead, you're gonna have to rely on either siphoning, or some kind of filter sock. I dont know how this thing looks behind, but I dont take it that there is a spot for you to add a filter sock that can easily be changed every 2-3 days.

If not, I think you're left with siphoning, so what's gonna be most important is that you direct your flow in such a way that the detritus piles up in one area of the tank, that is easy for you to access, so you can throw a thick rigid pipe down there and siphon out a bit of poop... if done right, you wont have to waste more than 1/4 of a gallon of water, or less, to remove all the poop.

Certain things to consider for this are:

-extend the locline tubing coming out of the back so that those nozzles practically reach the bottom of the tank.

-aim the koralia's so they keep detritus off the bottom, or in a specific corner.

For cleanup crew, I would recommend cerith snails with astrea snails. The ceriths love sitting in piles of detritus and processing it to be lighter and fluffy... most of the detritus will actually be poop from your Astreas, and that can be pretty heavy.

What kind of corals were you hoping to keep?

In my 90g right now I have SPS a long the top, LPS directly underneath them, and then mushrooms and zoanthids on the bottom.. all thriving.

They all want the same thing: low phosphates, some nitrogen (fish poop is a great source), and lots of carbon (kalkwasser, for example)... combine that with good flow to bring these building blocks to them, and then a modest amount of light (which i think yours is perfect for) and you should have success.

thank so much for ur input kong, umm yea the skimmer isnt so great.. im actually thinking of ordering a Tunze Nano since the skimmer in the back and the tunze are basically the same exact size.

your right with the filter sock there isnt a great place for it. I was hoping for a thriving SPS heavy tank, but i was to do some zoo and mushroom coverage for the bottom floor making the tank floor.

as u can see the rubble in the picture with the LR in it all of it clumps up in the front left corner.. but theres still a nice clump the back left. im thinking another koralia 3 for the right side and i will be good with flow or maybe getting 2 #4's.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347770#post11347770 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jonathanws
when you put your hands in the tank do you find that the water overflows all too easily over the back corners?

not at all jonathanws when i had my hands in there fixing the LR the water stayed in the same leve but the back area where the filtration takes place it did raise. its some type of mechanic the tank has where the level in the filtration elevates but the level in DT stays the same.

King-Kong
12/09/2007, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347877#post11347877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Devtech
thank so much for ur input kong, umm yea the skimmer isnt so great.. im actually thinking of ordering a Tunze Nano since the skimmer in the back and the tunze are basically the same exact size.

your right with the filter sock there isnt a great place for it. I was hoping for a thriving SPS heavy tank, but i was to do some zoo and mushroom coverage for the bottom floor making the tank floor.

as u can see the rubble in the picture with the LR in it all of it clumps up in the front left corner.. but theres still a nice clump the back left. im thinking another koralia 3 for the right side and i will be good with flow or maybe getting 2 #4's.

Upgraded skimmer sounds like a good idea.

Use those return lines to keep the back portion of your structure detritus-free. If you have to extend them with more loc line, then do it.

Try to maximize your flow and minimize how many pumps you need to do it.

Sometimes that may mean removing live rock, as well.

Consider what your tank would look like with small frags all grown out. You may find that your structure will get hidden by all of them, and itll just look like a wall of coral.

Thin out the rock structure some, only use pointy rocks for the base (not flat pieces), and maximize that flow.

Devtech
12/10/2007, 07:10 AM
yea i used the return lines and have placed them directly into each back corner which is causing all the rubble im using to determine flow to move all the way tot he front.

i re arranged the koralias and have maximized the flow to the areas under the is now focusing the flow into the floor and theres still alot of flow in top portion of the tank so all is good.

i was looking at the tank last night just goofing around and i found some hitch hikers in the rock on the bottom right, one is a red crab with some hair and the other is a crab with a black body and red legs.. they hardly come out of the rock all u see is its claws coming out grabbing off the rock. i hope these are good crabs if not i got no clue how to take em out unless a trap will work but the food will be hard to pick since i don't know what they like.

rama
12/10/2007, 03:54 PM
Looks like a really nice set-up. I haven't seen one in person but it seems like the skimmer upgrade is a definate need. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the progress.

Devtech
12/10/2007, 05:15 PM
well i worked the twinks out with the skimmer, i got a better air tubing and bought an air valve.. with those two things in just four hours it has taken out 3x more gunk than it has since it was first set up. so i think its a path in the right direction.

trying to think if i used about 7gallons from already set up 90 gal wonder how long the cycle might take. Might go buy that nitro cycle stuff they sell at the LFS for like 20$ i also went ahead and ordered 40$ worth of Copepods from http://www.reed-store.com/?category=59&subcategory=28&productid=TP-SM:2
hopefully this will set off a nice population of copepods and hopefully it will be enough for my spoted mandarin i have in my 90 currently. thats kinda why i want the tank to cycle a little quicker, she will be safe no worries on that part since she eats like a champ eats my prepared food and all of my pellets i feed to the other fishes she fights the trigger fishes off and beats em to the food lol

zma21
12/10/2007, 05:47 PM
1) Bacteria is present in water, however, in such small numbers that you might as well use new water rather than the old. It will not help your cycle.

2) The nitro cycle stuff is only there to drain your wallet. Just let the tank cycle naturally.

ezcompany
12/10/2007, 05:58 PM
if you cut out the middle moldings and dividers in the back area, you will be able to fit a deltec MC500. i was thinking of doing this but decided to drill instead and get an H&S in the future.

Devtech
12/10/2007, 05:59 PM
yea true :P lol its a burning itch inside of me lol. i still need to figure out what those damn crabs are not sure if they/re good or bad but they dont come out of the shadow to even take a picture of them

Devtech
12/10/2007, 06:24 PM
ok so i finally was able to see the crabs out in the open but yet not enough light where they're chilling out in the tank so my decription is all i have.

one of them is all red imo it looks like those crabs u buy to eat at a restaurant that exact red with a beige underside.

the other is black kinda glossy with fuzzy legs but has these white stripes running horizontally on the legs...

im hopeing their not bad if they are im guessing a good ol 2 liter bottle trap will with some shrimp in it right?

ezcompany
12/10/2007, 06:29 PM
i would remove both. there are not many reef safe crabs out there, not even emerald, sally lightfoots, etc. the only crab i trust is the bandit acro crab, all others need to be removed. the trap should work well, just make sure they can't climb back out

Devtech
12/10/2007, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11356902#post11356902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
i would remove both. there are not many reef safe crabs out there, not even emerald, sally lightfoots, etc. the only crab i trust is the bandit acro crab, all others need to be removed. the trap should work well, just make sure they can't climb back out

im just worried that since they're not very active they wont come out of the rock work... i mean not sure if they will pop on to the bare fllor and crawl to a bottle trap.. ugh i hate this crap i think since tank is new i can just take the rock out and let it sit there for a good 3 hours or so what u think?

racksteris
12/10/2007, 06:59 PM
nice tank

Devtech
12/10/2007, 07:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11357144#post11357144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by racksteris
nice tank

thanks rack.

on a side note i found the crab and to my discriptions hes actually brownish.. heres a picture of him and i also took a video of him in action.. if anyone can ID him please do so THANKS!!!

Picture::
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00447.jpg

Video::
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/th_MOV00446.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/?action=view&current=MOV00446.flv)

dailydriven911
12/10/2007, 08:45 PM
Get rid of him unless you want problems down the road...He will most likely eat your snails and hermits and they can be quite destructive in a small reef tank like yours. Good luck!

Devtech
12/10/2007, 08:51 PM
yup in the process of thinking of how to take him out friend of mine told me that a trap wont work for him... would putting the rock out in a box kinda like... kill it? or make it get out of the rock?

Felix1021
12/10/2007, 10:13 PM
hairy legs and big claws give it away...*bad guy* but keep him for entertainment for now lol...maybe you can trade him in later on at your LFS.

Felix-

Devtech
12/11/2007, 07:23 AM
well todays update! NO MORE CRABS MOM! YAY!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00449.jpg

i also took this time to eliminate that huge rock that was blocking some of that flow on the Bare floor and was able to increase the flow somewhat.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00451.jpg

Devtech
12/11/2007, 07:48 AM
ive been kinda worried on choosing a good lighting schedule. right now im doing the same as my 90 gal. It turns on @ 2pm and turns off @ 10pm.. u guys see somethign wrong with that? or should i do somethign along the line of 4pm - 10pm?

Felix1021
12/11/2007, 10:27 AM
i run 5pm to 11 pm so i think ur 4 to 10 pm plan sounds good

Devtech
12/11/2007, 10:32 AM
yea i think for now im goign to stick with the 2-10pm see how that works with algae bloom which i know its on its way since it has happened to me with any water cycle.

Felix1021
12/11/2007, 10:34 AM
cool...hey what party of miami ? lol i just noticed I'm in Miami fl as well...

lhoy
12/11/2007, 10:46 AM
The "hairy legs" notion that it makes a crab not reef-safe is a great reefer's myth. On another forum site, there is a great crustacean expert that can usually give you ID's to genus level but much taxonomic work remains on most of these crabs.

Lee

Devtech
12/11/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11361292#post11361292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lhoy
The "hairy legs" notion that it makes a crab not reef-safe is a great reefer's myth. On another forum site, there is a great crustacean expert that can usually give you ID's to genus level but much taxonomic work remains on most of these crabs.

Lee

true on what ur saying not much is known on some crabs these were the first for me to even see these crabs at all, i just didnt want to take a chance really to tell you the truth. so i took the huge rock out and with a turkey baster i splashed the inner areas of the rocks with boiling in hope of eating some crab buuut that didnt work all i got was the crab jumping from the rock into the sink where the boiling water was and it ended up just commiting suicide. heh.

Felix1021
12/11/2007, 01:04 PM
i just realized i wrote party lol
i ment what part of Miami?

anyway good luck with ur tank
keep the pics coming

Felix

Devtech
12/11/2007, 01:15 PM
i live in the gables. how about yourself?

Felix1021
12/11/2007, 01:25 PM
I'm in the miami lakes/hialeah gardens area.

Devtech
12/11/2007, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11361212#post11361212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Felix1021
cool...hey what party of miami ?

lol i just noticed the post haha, well its true miami is a party central LOL which is good for me since i love dj so theres always job out there for myself.

siwelk
12/12/2007, 08:30 AM
nice solana, i think these have to be the best looking AIOs by far. cant wait to see how it comes along.

Devtech
12/12/2007, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11368242#post11368242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by siwelk
nice solana, i think these have to be the best looking AIOs by far. cant wait to see how it comes along.

thanks siwelk, i cant wait either i have about another 3 weeks before the cycle is over.

StunnaShadez
12/12/2007, 01:01 PM
ohh man. i have the same looking crab in my fuge. very small though. about 1/2 inch

Devtech
12/12/2007, 01:04 PM
if i had a sump to put him in i woulda, kinda felt bad killing them but hey what can u say i had no other choice LFS wouldnt take him.

geiges
12/12/2007, 02:10 PM
How is the stock skimmer working for you all?
I think i mite get a Solana to replace my 12gal nano,
if i don't need to upgrade the solana from new!

Devtech
12/12/2007, 08:11 PM
the skimmer is doing its job if u ask me but the thing is that it skims really wet, but maybe because its still breaking in. not sure though.

Devtech
12/13/2007, 04:09 PM
i just got a thermometer for the tank, when the MH is on its running at 81.5F im waiting for the lights to come on to see what the lowest is.

would u guys say this is a good high temp for the tank? or would u recommend a chiller?

StunnaShadez
12/13/2007, 11:45 PM
nope. during the recent summer, my tank would run around 82-85 daily. and i have a sps tank also. jus thankful nothing is lost *knocks on wood*

Cristina_j
12/14/2007, 10:17 AM
If you want the skimmer to skim drier, adjust the black rubber thing around the skimmer, so that the body of the skimmer sticks up higher.

I have a solana and do this when feeding heavy so that it doesn't immediately overflow. Also run it that way if I plan on not being able to clean the skimmer the next day. That way it skims darker and heavier than so light and wet.

I recommend a chiller for this tank. I currently have my AC on still in the house and when I got home last night, my tank was 87.5 degrees...My local LFS has bought my chiller for me, just waiting for it to arrive now. I can't risk killing the Helfriches Firefish I plan on buying.

On warmer days where the AC works a little harder in the house, the tank stays at about 83. If you don't get a chiller I'd at least recommend a fan or two on controllers.

Devtech
12/14/2007, 11:52 AM
hmm yea i might just dish out some extra cash for a chiller, the prime chiller 1/15 seems good and its not so expensive.

yea i just raised the black rubber its now at the half point and its getting darker and dryer skimmate.

virex27th
12/15/2007, 08:20 PM
How loud is the skimmer? Other Solana owners have mentioned it is on the loud side. I want to get one but plan on keeping it in my bedroom so I want to be able to sleep.

Devtech
12/16/2007, 10:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11392862#post11392862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virex27th
How loud is the skimmer? Other Solana owners have mentioned it is on the loud side. I want to get one but plan on keeping it in my bedroom so I want to be able to sleep.

i hardly notice it, i mean u have to be really paying attention, maybe im just used to it but who knows really.

karlyhui
12/16/2007, 11:22 PM
Hi

Nice thread, I was wondering does Solona come with a cover?

As I am planning to get one also.

thanks

Devtech
12/17/2007, 06:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11400473#post11400473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by karlyhui
Hi

Nice thread, I was wondering does Solona come with a cover?

As I am planning to get one also.

thanks

it comes with a pre made glass cover, but when u have it on, the temp is very high. i keep it off, im making a mesh cover.

Devtech
12/17/2007, 07:58 AM
how far into my cycle should i add a clean up crew? the algae is starting to bloom soo im wondering if i should just put in soem snails now that the tank has some food for them and maybe they'll be able to control the algae bloom before it gets out of hand.

Devtech
12/17/2007, 04:08 PM
k so i went ahead and have let go of the troops!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00511.jpg

25 regular snail [LFS didnt have name for em]

and

40 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

dailydriven911
12/17/2007, 08:17 PM
40 b/l hermits! That is alot I think your bioload for the tank is done...haha j/k but I would remove at least half of those guys.

Devtech
12/18/2007, 11:51 AM
they never last long really. especially in a bare bottom tank. i had 400 of them in my 90 gallon. so i should be good.

eco37
12/18/2007, 01:39 PM
those look like astrea snails, or "atlantic turbo" snails. They are local, found mostly in the keys.

scottydo
12/18/2007, 02:05 PM
Tank looks great so far.

Devtech
12/18/2007, 02:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11411570#post11411570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eco37
those look like astrea snails, or "atlantic turbo" snails. They are local, found mostly in the keys.

yea thats what i was thinking, a few of them have some coraline on them sooo hopefully that will boost my coraline growth in the tank they have been controlling the algae bloom, they have eaten all of the fuzzy algae that were on the rock and so have the blue hermits soo thats great!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11411570#post11411570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scottydo
Tank looks great so far.
[/B]

thank you scotty. ive been trying to keep ontop of it but lately ive been getting some dj gigs late at night so its hard to stay awake during the day and stuff haha

jdpierce21
12/20/2007, 09:20 PM
Nice job. I love the tank!

Devtech
12/23/2007, 07:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11429549#post11429549 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdpierce21
Nice job. I love the tank!

Thanks! A little update before christmas, i gave myself a very needed gift, i went to the LFS today and was talking to a friend who works there told him how my tank fluctuates from 78 degrees up to 88 degrees, he showed me a 1/15hp Chiller they had for 399 so i went ahead and just coughed it up causei kno its needed before i even put anything in there.

Devtech
12/23/2007, 09:31 PM
another last update, it looks like my tank cleaners had an all out war, it was the snails vs the hermit crabs... hermit crabs own the tank now and showing off all of their new shells..never seen them change shells so fast being in the tank only 5 days.

it looked like all of em were ready for new housing anyway, hopefully if i buy some snails ill get different ones not sure which ones hermits are less of a predator to... also in consideration to the snails they need to withstand high current as i have Two Koralia # 3's and Two Koralias # 1 and the stock pump which does around 396gph for a total of 2896gph in the tank.. i think thats a good enough water turnover for the tank dont ya think since im going BB and goign for SPS dominated with minimal zoas and shrooms

martinphillip03
12/23/2007, 10:15 PM
Good ideas, all the Solona threads I have read have heat problems and gotten chillers

Marty

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11446323#post11446323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Devtech
Thanks! A little update before christmas, i gave myself a very needed gift, i went to the LFS today and was talking to a friend who works there told him how my tank fluctuates from 78 degrees up to 88 degrees, he showed me a 1/15hp Chiller they had for 399 so i went ahead and just coughed it up causei kno its needed before i even put anything in there.

zma21
12/23/2007, 11:14 PM
Good choice going with a chiller for your system.

Me, being the cheap *** that I am, would have just slapped a $7 fan on there and called it a day. :(

Devtech
12/24/2007, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11447467#post11447467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
Good choice going with a chiller for your system.

Me, being the cheap *** that I am, would have just slapped a $7 fan on there and called it a day. :(
well i wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt for my christmas bonus coming in now i need to decide what pump will fit where

Devtech
01/04/2008, 03:42 PM
k so since i havent updated in a while, i thought id pass by and say a few words... its been a few weeks now that the tank has been cycling and it hasnt even ended its full cycle yet, nitrates and nitrites are off the charts....sooo that being said i went today to the LFS and bought some live sand and kinda gave up on the barebottom theme i was hoping for, not sure what went on with the tank but i think in another two weeks ill have an up and running tank ... HOPEFULLY

martinphillip03
01/04/2008, 04:02 PM
Can you find Boisphere for saltwater? That should help you alot

Marty

Devtech
01/04/2008, 05:35 PM
hmm not sure on what biosphere is.. but they sell this bottle of nitromax, its supposed to cycle your water in a week or so most of the LFS down here i have talked to say they use that to cycle their water as quick as possible to make more room for live stock.

martinphillip03
01/04/2008, 05:38 PM
Biosphere is like nitromax, but is refrigerated. It works much better. Call around I am sure someone has it

Marty

danoreef
01/04/2008, 05:58 PM
tagging along. keep up the good work

reef211
01/04/2008, 10:30 PM
wow, i was at the LFS early today and i saw that in person, the tank is badass and i love the disco ball mh too, hmmmm should i upgrade? keep us post it.

Devtech
01/05/2008, 12:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11524534#post11524534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef211
wow, i was at the LFS early today and i saw that in person, the tank is badass and i love the disco ball mh too, hmmmm should i upgrade? keep us post it.

lol no problem man will do.

yea im going to get some nitromax, its refrigerated too, atleast u need to refrigerate it once u use it once.

Hooked4life
01/11/2008, 01:04 PM
How about an update?

I ordered one of these yesterday--I can't wait. In the meantime I'll have to admire everyone else's.

Are you done cycling?

archie01jan76
02/18/2010, 06:00 AM
I have a Solana 34 and I just solved my heat issues past month. After process of turning down all the powerheads and pumps one by one without a diagnosis, I about gave up and thought it just needed the chiller. I was dealing with a bad heater. This heater failure was atypical. The thermostat was bad. No physical signs of malfunction to the heater. Consistent indicator light activation with dial change. The evap fan only made things hard to diagnose. This temp of 82-83 went on for many months. Trash the heater every couple years if they are the cheap ones. Do the cost analysis its a no brainer. I threw out the Jaeger. Anyone suggest a heater type/make that won't need monthly installments?

archie01jan76
02/18/2010, 06:07 AM
forgot to include temps running now from 78-80 of course at ambient house temp. 72. We will see summer time temps soon and hope I don't need that chiller then.

rreed
02/18/2010, 07:08 AM
I have a Solana 34 and I just solved my heat issues past month. After process of turning down all the powerheads and pumps one by one without a diagnosis, I about gave up and thought it just needed the chiller. I was dealing with a bad heater. This heater failure was atypical. The thermostat was bad. No physical signs of malfunction to the heater. Consistent indicator light activation with dial change. The evap fan only made things hard to diagnose. This temp of 82-83 went on for many months. Trash the heater every couple years if they are the cheap ones. Do the cost analysis its a no brainer. I threw out the Jaeger. Anyone suggest a heater type/make that won't need monthly installments?

My heater is turned up to full blast! But, my controller turns it on an off. My Solana is called r2d2 by all my friends that come over an see my setup under the stand. Completely automated now.

archie01jan76
02/18/2010, 10:33 AM
you are neurotic. I am not alone...

MVlk
02/18/2010, 01:15 PM
My heater is turned up to full blast! But, my controller turns it on an off. My Solana is called r2d2 by all my friends that come over an see my setup under the stand. Completely automated now.

I recommend not turning the heater all the way up. When using a separate controller, just set the heater a few degrees above your set point. That way you have a backup in case something goes wrong with the controller. Our controllers are awesome, but not infallible. :)

I love the R2D2 name!