PDA

View Full Version : My ATO Build

DarkFORCE
12/08/2007, 12:39 AM
Do you think this setup will work ok?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/123618ATO-med.jpg

iairj84
12/08/2007, 02:03 AM
I think the Mag 2 will be pushing a lot more water out than the aqualifter can keep up with. I don't know if you're connecting it to a different float switch or what.

I'm no expert though

not_sponsored
12/08/2007, 02:04 AM
Depending on how tall your RO container is it might siphon into your sump.

not_sponsored
12/08/2007, 02:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11340086#post11340086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iairj84
I think the Mag 2 will be pushing a lot more water out than the aqualifter can keep up with. I don't know if you're connecting it to a different float switch or what.

I'm no expert though

Pretty sure he's using the mag 2 to recirculate the Kalk reactor.

iairj84
12/08/2007, 02:19 AM
With the top off water then pushing water out and back into the sump or fuge? I guess that makes sense now... Didn't see it that way.

madadi
12/08/2007, 03:20 AM
i have a very similar set up, i replaced the aqualifter with a medical peristaltic dosing pump because the aqua lifter put too much kalk into the tank at once and kinda fluctuated the pH more then i wanted it to. now the dosing pump puts 200ml per hour at a slow drip trough the kalk reactor regardless of evaporation rate which varies from day to day. i can adjust the flow by 1ml/hr increments. i run a second line from the RO holding tank directly to the float switch so that it can keep the water level constant and salinity.

your setup will work, but i like the two little differences i made because i can control how much kalk goes into the tank independently from pure RO water. also, if you run kalk saturated water trough the float switch, it tends to get all clogged up with calcium deposits. at least for me it did. what if your pH goes too high? you cant slow it down because its also your top off water and salinity will go up. what if your float valve gets stuck? it will drive up your pH and alk way high causing harm to your tank because too much kalk will be dumped into the tank.

shyland83
12/08/2007, 01:53 PM
if he's using a float switch rather than a float valve the kalk solution doesn't have to go anywhere near the float switch.

Siffy
12/08/2007, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't trust the mag 2 to work for more than a few months at most under these conditions. I would look for a stirrer or reposition the inlet of the pump at the top and the output near the bottom.

DarkFORCE
12/08/2007, 03:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11342474#post11342474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Siffy
I wouldn't trust the mag 2 to work for more than a few months at most under these conditions. I would look for a stirrer or reposition the inlet of the pump at the top and the output near the bottom.

The input is the top and the output is the bottom.

DarkFORCE
12/08/2007, 03:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11340235#post11340235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madadi
i have a very similar set up, i replaced the aqualifter with a medical peristaltic dosing pump because the aqua lifter put too much kalk into the tank at once and kinda fluctuated the pH more then i wanted it to. now the dosing pump puts 200ml per hour at a slow drip trough the kalk reactor regardless of evaporation rate which varies from day to day. i can adjust the flow by 1ml/hr increments. i run a second line from the RO holding tank directly to the float switch so that it can keep the water level constant and salinity.

your setup will work, but i like the two little differences i made because i can control how much kalk goes into the tank independently from pure RO water. also, if you run kalk saturated water trough the float switch, it tends to get all clogged up with calcium deposits. at least for me it did. what if your pH goes too high? you cant slow it down because its also your top off water and salinity will go up. what if your float valve gets stuck? it will drive up your pH and alk way high causing harm to your tank because too much kalk will be dumped into the tank.

I would like to use a true dosing pump but due to $$$ right now I thought I could try out the AquaLifter.

DarkFORCE
12/08/2007, 04:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11340090#post11340090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by not_sponsored
Pretty sure he's using the mag 2 to recirculate the Kalk reactor.

Yes the Mag is for mixing the kalk. The Aqualifter when on would cause water to flow out the top cap of the Kalk Reactor. At least that is what I am thinking.

Siffy
12/08/2007, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11342795#post11342795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarkFORCE
The input is the top and the output is the bottom.

Ok, good deal. Just making sure you'd thought about that, since your drawing shows otherwise.