PDA

View Full Version : Ich from food

dustin Combs
12/08/2007, 02:16 AM
Has anyone experienced Ich from feeding mysis or brine?
I have two tanks that are experinencing a breakout of ich. Both are established tanks and no new additions coral or fish. All of the sudden we have ich. Can only track it to food. Any ideas?

snorvich
12/08/2007, 06:44 AM
Do you rinse your brine in fresh water?

dustin Combs
12/08/2007, 08:15 AM
Yes I do before mixing with dry food and phyto.

black_majik
12/08/2007, 12:23 PM
mysis is a freshwater shrimp so marine ich is an impossiblitily for them. Brine on the other hand i don't thin so between the brine dying and freezing and air vacuuming i doubt ich is alive after that. There was probably ich in their gills and it grew out towards the body. ( 2-5 months ich can stay hidden)

philter4
12/08/2007, 01:30 PM
Even live brine itself can't and wont transfer ich. but it can come from the store you brought the brine from, I've seen stores that use their invert tank water to keep the shrimp, if the invert systems had ich, it is in the water. Store the brine in your own clean water and rinse it in fresh water before you feed it. You can put tap water in a tupperware container and let the brine swim around for half an hour or so (the brine will live in fresh water for a few hours) then feed it out to remove any parasites that may transfer. As far as frozen is concerned no problem with any pathogens after processing.