PDA

View Full Version : Choices in garlic/vitamin treatments

Snausy
12/08/2007, 05:56 AM
I'm looking for a good garlic/vitamin soak for my frozen shrimp to feed my puffer that has something like cataracts(cloudy eye).

Can someone suggest a good proven food additive to help my little guy fight this problem? Anything that would help his immune system and help clear up his eye would be most welcome.

Andrew
12/09/2007, 08:08 PM
What's your water levels? I just want to make sure that the cloudy eyes of your puffer isn't being caused by improper water quality. Can you give some more tank informations? There are treatments out there but I just want to cover the basics first. Also, is he showing sings of any other diseases or parasites? Cloudy eyes can be related to ich and velvet for example.

kevin2000
12/11/2007, 07:40 PM
Selcon is a popular food supplement.

Many eye issues are a result of bacterial problems ... sometime they clear up with better water quality and sometimes improving the quality of food (helps the fish's immune system) works - but sometimes you need to Qt the fish and treat with an antibiotic.

If you don't see improvement with water changes, food additives you should consider Qting and treating with maracyn 2 or similar antibiotic.

LargeAngels
12/12/2007, 08:31 AM
Flukes also cause cloudy eyes.

Snausy
12/12/2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It's not actually like most Cloudy eye...it's very yellow and defined. It's not uniform over the whole eye it is like blown glass coloring. A growth with edges that covers the pupil:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Snausages/yellow%20throat/P1010974.jpg

One eye is perfect...the other is blind because of this yellow growth.

Admittedly he was put in a QT tank that was uncycled but was being treated with PRIME to detoxify. He was there for two days total and bounced back nicely after literally looking dead out of the shipping bag.

This growth was there when he came out of the shipping bag after shipment in 45 degree water. Extremely cold. It developed due to the cold water imho.

I just today moved him into my main tank because he was so healthy other than his eye. The cycling QT was too much of a concern to keep him there and my main tank has very good water.

If they develop ich I'll put them all in QT later for that. Not that big a deal as there aren't many fish. Right now my primary concern is this eye problem. It's not cloudy white..it's very bright yellow right where the pupil is...and it looks like a growth...not uniform over the whole eye.

The QT had 1 ppm ammonia with zero nitrite zero nitrate 1.023 SG 8.1 pH. Didn't check for phosphates because it was brand new.

Current tank has zeros across the board other than nitritate at about 5ppm.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I can add something to his food to help fight this, if he needs something in the water I'll pull him out and put him back in QT.