PDA

View Full Version : Is krylon pain safe to use ....

Lorretto
12/08/2007, 01:15 PM
i'd lke to paint the clear tubing running from the overflow to the sump. I want to prevent algea growth inside and black tubing is out of the question because it's not available in my area. there is going to be 7 inches of submerged painted tube in the sump. Woud that be okay?

BlakDuc
12/08/2007, 02:01 PM
Krylon Fusion is on for use on rigid PVC/plastic. I don't know how well it would bond to the vinyl tubing that you are using. They make it in black, your best bet would be to get some of that and replace it.

pescadero
12/08/2007, 03:19 PM
FWIW I was in a Menard's store yesterday looking at tubing and they have the black stuff. I don't know if you have a Menard's in your area or not, but it shouldn't be too hard to find in stores that sell plumbing supplies.

12/08/2007, 03:59 PM
menards is the ****

pescadero
12/08/2007, 04:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11343090#post11343090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 7808
menards is the ****
is that good or bad? :)

saveafish
12/08/2007, 05:12 PM
Lorretto

A nother option is grey plastic condiut(<poor spelling) pipe. it has all kind of different bends. Or place the peices in boiling water for a few moments and bend the way you want it and run under cold water to keep the shape. pvc can be bent this way too.

saveafish
12/08/2007, 05:14 PM
Lorretto

A nother option is grey plastic condiut( poor spelling) pipe. it has all kind of different bends. Or place the peices in boiling water for a few moments and bend the way you want it and run under cold water to keep the shape. pvc can be bent this way too.

hllywd
12/08/2007, 11:04 PM
So how do I boil the middle of a 3' piece of 3/4" PVC?... It's a lot easier to use an elbow or some 45s... and anyway as far as I knew PVC wouldn't soften enough to bend a 212F and would flatten out if it did. I hate to be a downer but that's bad info...
There should be plenty of online sources for black vinyl Foster and Smith is one I believe.
Personally I wouldn't use any paint insdie my system and I know I'll get bashed for that statement. Pretty sure Fusion won't work on vinyl tubing anyway.

Tim

reeftank21
12/09/2007, 05:04 PM
so does krylon work for applications underwater? I would like to use it on a 2" cross that I am using for an intanke on a closed loop. I could buy a black one but not locally and I don't want to send for one.

reeftank21
12/09/2007, 05:04 PM
so does krylon fusion work for applications underwater? I would like to use it on a 2" cross that I am using for an intanke on a closed loop. I could buy a black one but not locally and I don't want to send for one.

WharfRat
12/09/2007, 05:09 PM
Don't use rust'oleum plastic. I used it on a buggy I made to haul my kayak on and it came right off when I put the kayak on it the first time. I was seriously disappointed.

Michael L.
12/09/2007, 05:58 PM
Yes, Krylon Fusion is reef safe and waterproof. I have had it in almost all of my systems since I started keeping saltwater.

Rysam
12/09/2007, 06:33 PM
i used it to paint the plumbing in my tank with no issues, im fairly sure it will not stick to vinyl tubing though. i have some clear tube in my plumbing and just used some pipewrap foam on it. its floating in the sump (wont sink) for about 10". again, no issues. .