PDA

View Full Version : Solana owners, please help RSM owners!

LaurentSeattle
12/08/2007, 02:25 PM
I have read with attention the Solana brochure recently. They claim to have a "micro-bubble eliminator" system.

How efficient the system is?

Could one owner post a close-up picture of the system? (So that I could try to mimic the thing in the RSM... As you all know, MB are the curse of all RSM owners)

Thanks!

dailydriven911
12/08/2007, 04:10 PM
Bump I'm also looking at buying on of these setups. How good is the skimmer and micro bubble eliminator?

Devtech
12/08/2007, 05:11 PM
the microbubbles eliminator works wonders! i have had my tank running for about 8 hours now and no bubbles coming into the tank at all.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/DSC00429.jpg

thrillreefer
12/08/2007, 05:25 PM
Is that a third powerhead in the back right? If I ever end up 2 inches tall I'm gonna hit you up to go surfing ;)

Devtech
12/08/2007, 05:32 PM
lol yea thats a third koralia, i initially had 2 koralia 1's but they werent enough..the rubble in the bottom wasnt even moving. so i moved thos two to one side and added an extra koralia 3 i had in my 90, soo in total i have 2050gph being pumped into the tank and it still looks like its not enough.

LaurentSeattle
12/08/2007, 05:37 PM
Devtech:

Could you please picture the "micro-bubble eliminator" system? or describe it in details? How does it work? On the solana brochure picture, it seems that there are some smaller bio-balls look-alikes...

Thanks a lot!

Devtech
12/08/2007, 05:44 PM
Well like u said it has miniature bio balls in the chamber but right uptop it has a sponge right up top. the water flow comes from under the bio balls then filters through the sponge and essentially eliminating any microbubbles the skimmer creates.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee293/Darkrooms1986/Microbubbles.jpg

dailydriven911
12/08/2007, 06:33 PM
Is there an area that could be used as a small refugium? It looks like you would have to eliminate the water top off though...How's the skimmer working so far?

Devtech
12/08/2007, 06:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11343915#post11343915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dailydriven911
Is there an area that could be used as a small refugium? It looks like you would have to eliminate the water top off though...How's the skimmer working so far?

the skimmer isnt wrking as its supposed to because the air hose has no gate valve i dont think it came with one so i need to go get one, since the air way is wide open its getting too much air and its not working properly

well you can always get a HOB fuge but thats about it. the auto top off is going to be a money saver for me. untill i get enough money to buy a rodi unit and a extra tank for the top off water.

dailydriven911
12/08/2007, 07:11 PM
I was thinking you could probably keep a refugium underneath the tank and just plumb it in to the main display. What are the dims of the stand, can you put a 10 gallon tank underneath?

Thanks!

LaurentSeattle
12/08/2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the pic DevTech. I am going to try to figure out a similar thing in the RSM.

Any other Solana owners happy with the Eliminator?

Devtech
12/08/2007, 09:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11344126#post11344126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dailydriven911
I was thinking you could probably keep a refugium underneath the tank and just plumb it in to the main display. What are the dims of the stand, can you put a 10 gallon tank underneath?

Thanks!

true.. but the stand is a p.i.t.a. to build, make sure u have the LFS build it that was my mistake, i couldnt get the back plate on which why u can see my wall behind the tank and also theres no door or shelf in the inside, i gave up and just built the main structure to support the tank

also the screws that come with the light that u basically screw into the back of the stand are worthless, buy some better wood screws and make pre-made holes before actually attatching.

LaurentSeattle
12/12/2007, 08:58 PM
Bump!

Any other Solana owners happy with the Micro-Bubble Eliminator?

ezcompany
12/12/2007, 09:18 PM
I took out ALL bioballs (bubble eliminators) in my Solana, doesn't affect skimmer performance and no microbubbles :)

Devtech
12/12/2007, 10:26 PM
hey ez..any idea if a tunze nano skimmer will fit in our skimmers place? im not really happy with its performance

ezcompany
12/12/2007, 10:46 PM
give ur skimmer 2 weeks to break in. mine is really chugging skimmate right now and i only have one fish.
also, i tried the tunze nano skimmer, and wasn't happy with it at all. i haven't tried fitting it in the solana, but it will probably fit.

Devtech
12/13/2007, 01:31 PM
hmm true, ill let it break in i mean its really getting alot of skimmate its just that it skims it very wet. no matter how high i place it.