PDA

View Full Version : What size refugium?

digidana
12/09/2007, 12:39 PM
what's the smallest size refugium that you'd feel comfortable with for a 240g tank?

jadeguppy
12/09/2007, 12:44 PM
What is the tank stocked with and what other filtration methods are you using?

Sk8r
12/09/2007, 12:44 PM
I run a 20g fuge with a 54 and find it very adequate for one mandy. I'd say, just guessing, that a 50 ought to be ok, but a 75 would be more in line with your size. Considering all your live rock and sand would be doing a job, too, I'd say you could get by nicely with a 50---but if you can manage the 75, about half of it branch-coral rubble pile, why not go for it?

K' Family Reef
12/09/2007, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11347729#post11347729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by digidana
what's the smallest size refugium that you'd feel comfortable with for a 240g tank?

read somewhere that should be atleast 25%
of total tank volume

= 60gal +/-

would use this number as a 'starting point'
then go from there!

even a 10gal fuge full of chaeto will benefit your system
to some degree... pods etc

yet a 50 gal will do it even better!

i have a 125 w/ 50gal display fuge
and have a 75gal tank sitting empty in garage - considering using it instead of the 50!

like so many other things in life
the BIGGER the BETTER!
:thumbsup:

here is a photo of the 50 gal fuge hooked up to this system
(same footprint as a 40breeder only taller)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/WarrenAmyMadelinne/sideFTS-fuge.jpg

digidana
12/09/2007, 01:33 PM
wow! that's absolutely gorgeous!

we currently have a 55g going and i was hoping to use that as the fuge, tho switching things around will be tricky. not sure how i'll swing that one yet.

we're just trying to plan right now, we're picking up the new tank next weekend.

we're planning on a big ole protein skimmer. and i have a uv steralizer on the 55g now...is it doing anything?? do i need anything else for filtration?

i have about 80lbs of rock now and i'm looking around for more, and am planning on about an inch deep or so sand bed. thanks!

K' Family Reef
12/09/2007, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11348060#post11348060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by digidana
wow! that's absolutely gorgeous!

we currently have a 55g going and i was hoping to use that as the fuge, tho switching things around will be tricky. not sure how i'll swing that one yet.

we're just trying to plan right now, we're picking up the new tank next weekend.

we're planning on a big ole protein skimmer. and i have a uv steralizer on the 55g now...is it doing anything?? do i need anything else for filtration?

i have about 80lbs of rock now and i'm looking around for more, and am planning on about an inch deep or so sand bed. thanks!

hey thanks for the compliment!
(however well deserved or not!;) but hey i will take it!) primarily LPS corals but we have recently decided to start 'gearing up' for SPS... which might include an upgrade to a 210tank w/ custom stand designed for either a 100 or the 75 display fuge underneath... we like the idea of the display fuge as a second viewing tank... whether we upgrade or not we will set it up w/ the SPS/LPS on top tank then probably do some softies down bottom plus whatever else we decide throw in there!...

might take a look at craigslist.org
for equiping your new system... can often find LR on their by local wholesalers... there are several people in this area selling LR for 2-3$ per pound - some claiming already cured (???)... either way there are always good deals in used/new saltwater equipment on this site... when i first set mine up i started out buying 200# of LR for 150$... and have purchased atleast another 100-150# also for not much more money (we have 3 different systems hooked up in house)

there is some question re merits of using UV sterilizer
your 55g uv will probably not be large enough for your new system... so after you research it then if decide to keep using one that would be another expense to upgrade for new system! (i chose not to use one after researching here on RC - if you are not familiar w/ it already there is a 'search' feature to be used on RC at bottom of page)

re filtration
corals or fowlr?
is your new tank drilled?
do you have a sump?
filter socks?

setting up a sump
can be very BENEFICIAL.. simple and inexpensive (i have a very cheap sump hooked behind my stand - cost maybe 12bucks and is effective!)...

there are so many different opinions
on different aspects of setting things up... you might keep searching and looking around to see what 'resonates' more w/ what you are wanting to do w/ your system...

would highly encourage you to ask, ask ask! (on RC)
many many questions before making any major purchases... skimmmers etc... otherwise strong chance will end up taking the wrong advice from LFS owners/employees who are either trying to take advantage of you or who simply dont know the best answers to begin with!... there are so many experienced people on this site that have good/RIGHT anwers to many of your quests!

good luck!
and hope to see some pics of your new system! or your current one if you any photos!

regards

mg426
12/09/2007, 02:26 PM
As big as you can fit.

digidana
12/09/2007, 03:34 PM
wow, great post, i really appreciate that. i do love your tank, i've never seen the fuge as a display before, that's a really cool idea.

i've been looking and looking on craigslist, i found about 75lbs of rock not far from here at about $1/lb, but it looks funny to me. i posted pics at in a thread called "good deal?" i'm not finding the great deals on rock like that. there are a couple people closing down tanks locally and i've email about buying just the rock, but haven't heard back. did you find your rock on this site?

we're planning for corals, tho they scare me.

this is the new tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1264842

we're planning on a sump...and i don't know what a filter sock is!

i'll be asking tons of questions i'm sure before i put water in that sucker...i love this place! there is SO much to learn...thanks! i'll see if i can get a decent pic of my current tank its not real interesting yet. :0)

K' Family Reef
12/09/2007, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11348775#post11348775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by digidana
wow, great post, i really appreciate that. i do love your tank, i've never seen the fuge as a display before, that's a really cool idea.

i've been looking and looking on craigslist, i found about 75lbs of rock not far from here at about $1/lb, but it looks funny to me. i posted pics at in a thread called "good deal?" i'm not finding the great deals on rock like that. there are a couple people closing down tanks locally and i've email about buying just the rock, but haven't heard back. did you find your rock on this site?

we're planning for corals, tho they scare me.

this is the new tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1264842

we're planning on a sump...and i don't know what a filter sock is!

i'll be asking tons of questions i'm sure before i put water in that sucker...i love this place! there is SO much to learn...thanks! i'll see if i can get a decent pic of my current tank its not real interesting yet. :0)

tank looks awesome!

ya you do want to also be careful re buying live rock or anything used...

there was a guy trying to sell (what he called) LR
from his fowlr tank and well if you ask me there was nothing LIVE about it... it was so white that it looked like bleached rock to me - stuck in a couple bins w/ water and an airpump - making it look like atleast he was keeping something alive in it!... needless to say i passed on buying that batch - even though i could have added this 'previously' LIVE rock to my established systems and it would have become live again...