PDA

View Full Version : Aussie acans and Peppermint Shrimp...need help!!!!

jjj1100
12/09/2007, 02:31 PM
Hello all,
I have a few colonies of aussie acan's that were doing great. One colony I have had for about 3 months. A few weeks ago I had an outbreak of aiptasia so I added 3 small peppermint shrimps last week. One monring a few of the acan's that I had for awhile looked beat up so I moved it to another tank to recoup.
I woke up this morning, and about 5 heads of a different colonie were shredded. I spent the morning pulling all of my blue and red leg crabs out, but I am wondering if the 3 peppermint shrimp I added were to blame for this. What scares me is I still have a large group of acans in my tank and no way to catch 3 peppermint shrimps!!!

has anyone heard of peppermints destroing acans...

Thanks in advance

fierceseaman
12/09/2007, 03:44 PM
had you just fed the acans? i know that peppermint shrimp are notorious for pulling food out of corals, not actually eating them.

jjj1100
12/09/2007, 04:02 PM
no my last feeding is usually around 10 or so at night...vho's stay on until midnight...everything looked fine when i went to bed..this AM one colony was almost shredded.

Salmonking
12/09/2007, 06:18 PM
I know they eat zoos so I would guess maybe and probally.

Bri Guy
12/09/2007, 07:16 PM
I had a problem with mine, but I had too many in too small of a tank, and didn't feed them enough (to there liking)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1182708

jjj1100
12/10/2007, 05:33 PM
thanks for the replies so far...does any one else have any experience with peppermints destorying corals?

cardgenius
12/10/2007, 05:47 PM
Mine were notorious for eating zoas and picking at my candy cane, so Id say its them. They wiped out a huge aptasia problem but moved on to my coral very quickly.