PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get coralline to grow.

cherubfish pair
12/09/2007, 10:27 PM
In my NC6. Stock lighting for now, that's a minus.

Only additives are HBH Balance Blocks. They recommend one per 20 gallons until it dissolves, but may be used safely in tanks as small as 10 gallons. It has a long list of minor elements in it and some calcium but it doesn't list how much calcium.

I have some test kits and Purple Up on the way.

gsusfreak
12/09/2007, 10:30 PM
i never added any chemicals in my tank , and coraline looks great

when i first started, i didnt think i would ever get the nice purple that everyone else had....i never even notice a progression........but looking at old pictures, my rock used to be really white, and now i can see how far it has come......so just be patient with it, you'll get to that point eventually

zma21
12/09/2007, 11:57 PM
Purple up won't do much. :(

Just do frequent water changes and keep your alkalinity, dkh, mag, calcium, etc in check (easy, i know) and you'll have some coraline.

I've had my nanocube running for like 3 weeks now, and i counted 24 lime green pea size coraline spots on the back wall.

Rosseau
12/10/2007, 12:01 AM
In my old tank with moderate levels of PC lighting I had loads of coralline within a month or so.

My current tank, with considerably more lighting (same salt, rocks from the same vendor) is only just showing signs of coralline growth (4-5 months in).

I'm not sure if there is any magic formula. There are lots of species of coralline and they seem to have slightly different preferences. As stated above from what I've read the best you can do is keep up with water changes. More light isn't necessarily a plus on this one I don't think.

In well established tanks you can see different species of coralline in different areas of the tank - largely due to differences in light availability.

I know how you feel... I want mine to take hold.

zma21
12/10/2007, 12:02 AM
I want mine to stop. :(

The rocks are already purple, pink, red, and green, and i'm just sick of scraping the walls....already. It isn't supposed to be there this fast haha.

cherubfish pair
12/17/2007, 10:10 PM
Would any hermits eat coralline?

I had a pencil urchin that scraped coralline from the rocks.

karlyhui
12/17/2007, 10:19 PM
I had the same problem before, you need to get a live rock with coralline on it and it will eventually spread.

If only with water change and time it will not grow.

Hope this help

Cldormer
12/17/2007, 11:59 PM
I've read where coralines seem to prefer the florescent type lighting wheter it be NO, VHO, PC or T-5.

I've grown it under all those with the greatest personal results under VHO-had a very cool plating, scrolling growths going.

I'm starting to see the beginnings-lime green type on some base rock I'm using now and it's under MH only and only a month old.

Good flow helps too.

MikePowell
12/18/2007, 08:00 AM
if you really want it to grow, go to tank that has alot on the glass scrape it off with a razor and sprinkle it in your tank.

glassbox-design
12/18/2007, 10:04 AM
those dissolve blocks are a waste. they wont properly replenish trace elements or maintain cal/alk. water changes and cal/alk supplementation is all you need.

to get it to grow keep your cal and alk stable and levels elevated. i'd suggest tropic marin's bio calcium, kalkwasser, or two part. get a trust worthy test kit such as lamotte, elos, or even api for these measurements.

jonathanws
12/18/2007, 11:36 AM
as said before just get a few rocks that are already covered and it'll soon spread under the right conditions

scottydo
12/18/2007, 01:48 PM
Like all things, just seems to take time.

cherubfish pair
12/23/2007, 12:23 PM
Okay, I can see little flakes comming on.