PDA

View Full Version : whats in a power head?

Swanwillow
12/10/2007, 08:38 AM
I've been out of the hobby going on 2 years. Long enough that I have NO idea about powerheads.
My plan is to run a sort of behind the rocks flow through. Dispersing the flow, without seeing the power heads. (No, I'm not drilling the tank any more for a closed loop, but somthing LIKE a closed loop)
Which powerhead would be best for my needs? I was thinking of the new fangled Koralia's, but then a tunze pushes a lot of flow with low wattage too...

Avi
12/10/2007, 09:26 AM
There are a lot of different kinds of powerheads available these days, for reefs. The older kind are still available, too. The older kind, that still have a lot of purposes are not generally ideal for reefs. Reefs are better served with the kind of powerheads that you've mentioned...Koralias, Tunzes as well as Ecotechs, Seios, etc. since the kind of flow that they generate, while strong, is not a thin, forceful flow like the old ones create. A broader, laminer flow is the kind that most benefits a reef for a number of reasons...It doesn't harm some delicate corals, it moves more detritus off the rockwork, it more closely mimics natural ocean currents, etc.

I think that hiding the powerheads behind the rockwork may seem like a good idea from an aesthetic point of view, it will decrease the effectiveness of the powerheads because the rock will block a significant amount of the strength of the water movement and won't be efficient.

Rather than the powerheads that you get face forward from the back of the tank, I'd recommend that you have them mounted on the sides of the tank...toward the back if you prefer. Sure, that makes them more obtrusive and visable and, again, from an aesthetic point of view this isn't as nice as if they were altogether hidden behind the rockwork. But, it would make the effectiveness of the powerheads markedly better.

I just recently bought an Ecotech to replace a Maxijet mod and I can tell you that the appearance is hugely better. Koralias and the more expensive Tunzes will do the job, but this Ecotech which has the motor on the outside of the tank with only the impellar housing on the inside of the tank minimizes the size and less preferable appearance of a huge powerhead inside the tank. It's also very strong and the kind of flow it makes is ideal. The compromise on appearance is minimal, and it also with the motor on the outside, minimizes the heat transfer to your ree's water, which can be significant, particularly if you don't get a chiller.

There's a lot of difference of opinion about how much flow benefits a reef most. And, to a some extent the kinds of coral you keep is relevant to the amount of flow you should have. My own opinion is that the most flow you can have without causing an excessive amount of turbilance and force, the better. I have a mixed reef, including soft coral, LPS and SPS and since I set up the reef I've been ever increasing the amount of flow and it has, without doubt improved the health of the system and its occupants as I have.

As to the amount of flow, IMO, it's best just to get the amount that you decide is best for you from the outset, rather than continually upgrading but not reaching the amount you should have, spending more and more...like I did.

I have found that so long as you use the kind of powerheads that create a preferable kind of flow, no matter which coral you keep, around 30X or more (in gph) the amount of gallons of water in your reef. The benefits of keeping the surface of the rock more free of detritus, keeping the detritus and nutrient collection in the water column so it is taken more efficiently to your protein skimmer, the coral cleansed, etc. are enormous.

Swanwillow
12/10/2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, my plans were running the maxi-jet style powerhead. But I kinda LIKE the look of the tunze's, but not the prices.

its going to be a zoa/ric/lps mixed tank.

Avi
12/10/2007, 10:12 AM
If you like the "look" of the Tunze's but not the prices then consider the Seios. I've used them and they always were trouble-free for me.

dsn112
12/10/2007, 10:28 AM
tunze sells a fake rock you can hide their power heads in, don't know if you would like that, but its worth a shot.

here it is

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~TZ1251~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Tunze_NanoStream_Rock _for_6025__6045_and_6055_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Powerheads_Accessories~vendor~.html

Aquarist007
12/10/2007, 10:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11353441#post11353441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Avi
If you like the "look" of the Tunze's but not the prices then consider the Seios. I've used them and they always were trouble-free for me.

if you are worried about price go with the Hydor Korilias---the number 4 is about 60 dollars and gives you a turbular flow of 1250 gph. The only problem I have had with them is the dome surrounding the turbo gets clogged with algae really easy and that can drastically reduce the flow rate.

ccoral
12/10/2007, 11:46 AM
just make sure pumps are easily removed hiding pump behind rocks can cause problems as all pumps mentioned need reg. maint. and if hidden either you will forget to clean or worse intake strainers clog pump fails.

Aquarist007
12/10/2007, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11352923#post11352923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
I've been out of the hobby going on 2 years. Long enough that I have NO idea about powerheads.
My plan is to run a sort of behind the rocks flow through. Dispersing the flow, without seeing the power heads. (No, I'm not drilling the tank any more for a closed loop, but somthing LIKE a closed loop)
Which powerhead would be best for my needs? I was thinking of the new fangled Koralia's, but then a tunze pushes a lot of flow with low wattage too...

what size of tank do you have?

Swanwillow
12/10/2007, 02:26 PM
its a 75, I was looking at 2 korilia 2's
Since its mainly going to be a softie tank, it doesn't need the HUGE amounts of flow that others have.

reef_wacko
12/10/2007, 03:27 PM
I cannot give enough praise and a higher recommendation than the Hydor Korilia powerheads. I have a #4 in my 40 gallon reef and the tank is thriving. I've had mine nearly a year and they work flawlessly and are so quiet the are virually noiseless. I searched for years for quiet, reliable pumps -- and these are it!

Aquarist007
12/11/2007, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11355173#post11355173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
its a 75, I was looking at 2 korilia 2's
Since its mainly going to be a softie tank, it doesn't need the HUGE amounts of flow that others have.

two number fours in each corner of the tank will give you a flow rate of 2500 gph-- or two number three will give you 1700 gph

IMO go with the higher flow rate--33 times tank turnover per hour would be fantastic.

the other thing to think about is that these korilias give you great flow at very little energy cost

Swanwillow
12/11/2007, 04:09 PM
hmm, I'm not a fan of such big turnover. Since I'm not keeping, or ever plan on keeping SPS, and DO plan on smaller inverts-Its a goby/shrimp tank in the plans.. harlequin shrimp, sexy shrimp, fire shrimp.. and tiny little gobies. I worry about them being blown about and hiding in the rockwork more with too much flow.

Aquarist007
12/11/2007, 04:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11363466#post11363466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
hmm, I'm not a fan of such big turnover. Since I'm not keeping, or ever plan on keeping SPS, and DO plan on smaller inverts-Its a goby/shrimp tank in the plans.. harlequin shrimp, sexy shrimp, fire shrimp.. and tiny little gobies. I worry about them being blown about and hiding in the rockwork more with too much flow.

they are used to that condition on the reef--you have to remember that this is turbulant force--not direct--it makes a big difference--and you can richochet these off the glass and back giving you great wave action in the water.

From personal exp--I went for a one, two and a three--now I am having to replace these with the 4's--the one is only like a power head 450 gph and the 2 is 650--I put my hand in front of these I hardly notice the flow.

Aquarist007
12/11/2007, 04:32 PM
by the way I am not a sales rep for these--I just made a big mistabke on them and don't want to see anyone else make the same one :)

Swanwillow
12/11/2007, 05:25 PM
its okay, I'm just not used to this new fangled flow system! coming from maxi jets and seahorses. Low flow, and trying to disperse the straight lines created by the maxi jet. Okay, I'll TRY a 4 and a 3. One of each, see how it goes.

Aquarist007
12/11/2007, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11364007#post11364007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
its okay, I'm just not used to this new fangled flow system! coming from maxi jets and seahorses. Low flow, and trying to disperse the straight lines created by the maxi jet. Okay, I'll TRY a 4 and a 3. One of each, see how it goes.

I really don't think you will regret it---when you get them set up put your hand in front--because the flow is circular, radiating outwards it doesn't feel like a power head at all.

Aquarist007
04/01/2008, 01:09 PM
I have linked this thread to this one in order for more access to information on other threads:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...hreadid=1359857

Swanwillow
04/01/2008, 03:27 PM
ahh, I ended up getting 2 3's and think they are the BEST.

I removed the flow directors that did come with them, and they are just awesome!