PDA

View Full Version : Questions about lighting a 10g nano

Husky_1
12/10/2007, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone,
My wife and I have decided to turn her 10g FW tank into a nano softy reef. The upgrade will not happen right away since I want to cook my live rock that was taken out of my 92 during the last re-aquascaping. I will probably do the DIY AquaClear 70 fuge, and will not have a skimmer at first. However, I was wondering what others with a standard 10g tank have used for lighting.

For corals, I plan on only keeping softies, but would consider trying a high mounted LPS frag as well. So my question is hat light fixture would you guys suggest.

Do you guys like the idea of a single MH pendent/clip on? If so what wattage?

Or do you like a PC/CF 20" fixture better? If so which ones?

Maybe I am missing something complete?

Thanks again,
Dale

Devtech
12/10/2007, 12:43 PM
for a small tank, i think u get away with a DIY T5 Retro fit kit, with it u n caeven keep SPS if ud like since a 10gal tank isnt so deep, at least in my opinion, u can do MH pendant as well but it ur likely to have to be taking care of evap almost every other day.. but im still a newb soo anyone with more experience could put some light to it even more than myself.

Husky_1
12/10/2007, 12:48 PM
That is an option that I did not think about. I guess there are 16.5 inch bulbs on the market, add a couple of SLR reflectors and it would be good to go...

Agu
12/10/2007, 12:57 PM
I've had good success with the Coralife 96w powerquad fixture. With the legs it's easy to mount and move. In addition heat hasn't been an issue.

However I do miss the glimmer effect from MH lighting. If I were to replace them I'd take a look at one of the 150w MH clip on fixtures.

Husky_1
12/10/2007, 01:06 PM
Agu,
Thanks for the heads up, that Coralife is one that I am looking at. Do you have any opinions, or know what the current consensus on the Current Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures which is 2x40's with LEDs?

I also would like shimmer on the tank, but not sure I want to deal with the heat or evap if its going to be that much. This tank is going to be sumpless and where its located ATO is not an option.

Agu
12/11/2007, 07:37 PM
Haven't used the Current 40 X 2 but have an 18W on a 5.5. They seem to be well built. Big advantage of the dual bulbs is that you can run actinics alone. I can't show off the actinic glow with my lights. The current is OK for softies but if you want LPS go for the extra wattage. Here's my LPS tank under the Coralife,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2DSCN2940.jpg

Husky_1
12/12/2007, 07:41 AM
Agu,
Thanks for the heads up, I really like your nano. What is that intake on the right side too?

Looks like the corallife is moving to the top of the "short list"

rickh
12/12/2007, 01:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354556#post11354556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
I've had good success with the Coralife 96w powerquad fixture. With the legs it's easy to mount and move. In addition heat hasn't been an issue.

However I do miss the glimmer effect from MH lighting. If I were to replace them I'd take a look at one of the 150w MH clip on fixtures.

Agu--I have a question about the power quad light.
I am thinking about trying to add a 40 watt PC bulb to the Coralife fixture. I don't have a light here that I can measure, but I would remove the quad bulb mounts and move them over as far as possible to hopefully give me 2-3" of space where I could mount the 40 watt bulb. How much space do you think I could get by moving the quad bulb??
Thanks
R

Agu
12/12/2007, 04:33 PM
Husky, It's a drilled ten gallon with a ten gallon sump, here's the whole setup....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2DSCN2452.jpg

R, there's no room to move the bulb over at all, the base touches both sides of the reflector. Even if you could the ballasts are in the hood and I think you could overheat the fixture. You could put a bulb under the ballasts but there it would be exposed to moisture and at a high risk of breakage.

rickh
12/12/2007, 06:58 PM
Agu--Thanks for the bad news. Another idea down the drain--into the sump.:)

Husky_1
12/13/2007, 09:03 AM
Agu,
Nice setup...