PDA

View Full Version : returning to the hobby...

jdokos
12/10/2007, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone,

I am returning to the hobby after more than 3 years off after moving to ATL from KC. I think I am going to take the plunge back in with a Nanocube 28 hqi. I hope the focus of this tank will be a BTA and maroon clown (several months down the road of course).

Can someone recommend a good www source for rock? Is the lalo on liveaquaria.com as good as they say?

Also, has anyone heard when the Octopus and Euroreef nano skimmers will be available?

Thanks in advance,

reefman13
12/10/2007, 02:51 PM
I would check up on the EuroReef forums. They had hoped to have them out before the holidays........

Mini Me6
12/10/2007, 03:31 PM
Welcome back. And Ummm it's not a hobby. IT'S AN ADDICTION:eek2: . I keep on buying and testing and buying and testing, I just cant get enough of the fix.

Can't say I didn't warm ya:D . Good luck on your setup. Post some pics when ur ready.

rama
12/10/2007, 04:01 PM
Welcome back! I would look into macro rocks, for at least the bulk of it (cheap and no hitchikers). Do some searches and see what you think. Heres the website http://www.marcorocks.com/ Good luck.

twogreyhounds
12/11/2007, 02:11 AM
I bought 30 lbs of Lalo from LA last summer. It cured in 20 days and during the curing process the rock had LOTS of color on it - lots of green, red, pink, maroon, and a big patch of yellow. I was just really thrilled with it - although I didn't see one single hitchhiker on any of the rock. But there were no pests either. Unfortunately, soon after I dropped it in my tank, all the coraline died en-mass and never came back. By a month later, the rock had all turned grey/tan, just really ugly. That pretty yellow patch had turned the color of a roasted marshmellow. I asked a lot of people what was happening, but nobody seemed to have an answer at the time.

Looking back, I think the coraline died because of my lighting, I don't know, I clearly did something wrong with it. I'm starting a new 55g and this time around I think I'll stick with more traditional rock - not to say if you went with Lalo your experience wouldn't be positive.

You can see one of the rocks under that Half-and-Half Wrasse and as you can see, it looks pretty dull.

-Ryan

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/154598Half_and_half_Wrasse.JPG

jdokos
12/13/2007, 09:07 AM
I think I am going to go with premiumaquatics.com. Have heard good things. I was thinking about using eggcrate of some sort as a foundation for the live rock. I hope this will help evenly distribute the weight. Would this work?

Where can you get eggcrate like materials?

Agu
12/13/2007, 09:58 AM
It's actually diffuser for fluoro lighting. Get it at HD or Lowes in the fluoro lighting dept.