PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about ditching the koralia.

zma21
12/10/2007, 06:32 PM
I have a koralia 1 in my nanocube 12 dx. The koralia puts out good flow...too much actually for what i'm after. I'm doing this tank as a strictly zoa/paly/shroom/ric tank. The flow this thing puts out is too much for my shrooms and my zoa frags.

...And it's ugly in this small of a tank.

What i'm afraid of though is that as soon as i get rid of it, the algea will just consume my tank since there is not as much water movement.

What do you guys think? :(

gsusfreak
12/10/2007, 07:43 PM
too much flow?....i would think that having only 1 Koralia1 would be perfect for flow in that tank

what are you looking to downsize to?.....maybe we can do a trade?

zma21
12/10/2007, 07:44 PM
It is too much flow. It rips and pulls my mushrooms around, same with my zoa's.

What were you looking to trade me for? The koralia has only been run for 15 minutes. :(

amiricle
12/10/2007, 07:58 PM
maybe you can try working with the placement of the hydor, point it to the top. On my aquapod 12, the only powerhead i had was a hydor koralia 2 in a 12 gallon! I just pointed mine up to the top corner of the tank and the flow is not that bad.

Agu
12/10/2007, 08:02 PM
If you have too many nutrients in your tank you'll have nuisance algae. High flow doesn't magically remove nutrients. It just changes when and where algae grows.

I've never owned a Koralia so I can't judge it's flow. Never owned one because I think they're big ugly powerheads, but that's just my opinion.

dzeadow
12/10/2007, 09:53 PM
I'm tagging along here since I'm in the same boat. I have a 10g nano that I was trying to start up w/ some zoa/ric/xenia. I had a K1 on it and it was ripping. I didn't like the over done flow in there so I shut it off and am using a aquaclear 20 hang on filter and a 80gph aquaclear power head.. now it's barely moving at all. So I'm looking for nano flow suggestions as well.

gsusfreak
12/10/2007, 10:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11357550#post11357550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
It is too much flow. It rips and pulls my mushrooms around, same with my zoa's.

What were you looking to trade me for? The koralia has only been run for 15 minutes. :(

i would first try to aim that sucker up like someone else mentioned....

i honestly have nothing to trade

zma21
12/10/2007, 11:04 PM
I have it aimed as far up as possible.

I've tried every aim there is...it either causes a sand storm, blows over my rocks, or punches my coral in the throat.

joetekyun
12/11/2007, 12:27 AM
I have a koralia nano in my 12g nanocube and it totally helps the flow situation out and I have yumas, florida rics, mushrooms, zoas, montis, leathers, gsp, toodstool, blastos, and acan lords. everything is going fine with the flow.

unda_da_see
12/11/2007, 07:09 AM
i got a mini jet 606 with a hydor flow deflector on my eclipse 12 and its perfect, makes a nice random flow/wave action.

everl0ng
12/11/2007, 09:51 AM
i know it is larger, but on my 24g NC i have 2 nanos in the middle at the top pointed inwards torards each others paths of flow, and then on the outsides towards the bottom pointed upwards towards the front surface i have two koralia 1s. the flow keeps EVERYTHING suspended, but it is not enough to blow everything over since the two 1s are pointed upwards. i also have more rock than needed so it helps break up the flow patterns.

GoingPostal
12/11/2007, 10:07 AM
If it's only been run for 15 minutes you should really give it another try, anytime I add a new powerhead or filter for movement the corals freak out and blow around like crazy but they get used to it pretty quick, it shouldn't be too much for zoos at all but the mushrooms may have to be placed away from it.

zma21
12/11/2007, 06:09 PM
I've ran it plenty long to figure that for my setup this is too much.

I don't need it for my tank because:

-Too big
-Too ugly (imo)
-Too much flow for my selected coral

Out it goes.

socalchris
12/11/2007, 06:19 PM
I tried the Koralia 1 in my 12g also....my frogspawn blows around like crazy....definitely too strong..

Cldormer
12/12/2007, 01:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11364343#post11364343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zma21
I've ran it plenty long to figure that for my setup this is too much.

I don't need it for my tank because:

-Too big
-Too ugly (imo)
-Too much flow for my selected coral

Out it goes.

I'll trade you my 1 week old Koralia Nano since I'm leaning towards SPS dominated a little more everyday.

PM'ed you.

Eklikewhoa
12/12/2007, 11:35 AM
I have the Nano Koralia in my NC12g and it's awesome! The Palys, toadstool and rics love it!

erichatesmice
12/12/2007, 06:44 PM
I second the Koralia Nano. I also had Koralia 1s, thought they were way to strong for what I needed them for, and went with the Nanos. They're perfect.