PDA

View Full Version : Help my low dkh problem

easye123
12/10/2007, 07:15 PM
Well its time to figure out why i have Low dkh.

Tank specs
90g RR 30g sump refug
Sps dominated tank
13 fish
ER rs 135 skimmer
phosphate reactor
2inch sand bed

I dont use any fancy test kits soo that might be the problem. I use those basic ones in that saltwater master test kit.
phos.- 0
trates-0
trites-0
ammon-0
calcium -440
ph-8.2
salinity-1.025
ran out of mag. tests. soo uknown
dkh-5

I use kents superbuffer everyonce in a while but i guees that doesnt help. An add kents liquid calcium once a week or so.

I do weekly 15g water changes with red sea coral pro salt.
Ive been doing that for a year plus now and my tank has been thriving. I dont dose because of the stable paramaters i have had with that salt.I rarely test, but when i do dkh has been between 5-7 for about the past 6ish months. I never saw any negative effects so i kinda always blew it off.

So my question is.. should I start to dose even though i havent needed it up to this point. or should I use somethin like baking soda or somethin.

What effects does a low dkh like that have?
Any advice would be great! I wanna se if I can get this dkh up and see if there is a big change. My second action after this is to get others to test my water with more fancy test kits like salifert or elos. and if all that is the same then its on to dosing.

current tank picture
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/hpmavfan/IMG_4770_edited.jpg

mg426
12/10/2007, 07:43 PM
Holy Cow Dude , something aint making a lot of sense here. That is a smoking looking tank. I dont think anything is very far out of Whack here, I would get me another opinion (test result) ASAP.
Its hard to imagine a tank looking like that with all those stonies without some kind of regular dosing regimen.

easye123
12/10/2007, 08:49 PM
Well thats why I have always blown it off.

I have added tons of sps over the last 6 months. When i had like 10-15 pieces I was getting insane polyp extension and haveing to frag lots of stuff since my tank is not very big and stuff was growing out and not up. Now I have about 30 pieces and have added a lot of fish now at 13 and will not add any fish inless i take somethin out to ad somethin new. Now i get good polyp extension on tenius's milles and stuff like that. but my montis look like crap lately after being perfect for a year now. Ive searched and searched for nudis and found no signs. My torts and stuff are growing but I havent seen any PE on those and my montis.

Ive had the test kits for about a year and a half now. and there those basic ones to start off with. Im gonna see if someone will help me out and test my water.

Im pretty sure its a combination of new fish..lots of new acros..low dkh...and cleaning my tank once a week now sticking my hands in the tank. I need to get one of those scrapper you can glue on to a magfloat soo i dont need to stick my hands in the tank alll the time.

Im gonna get some different people to test it.. ill let ya know

easye123
12/11/2007, 09:28 AM
bump