PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator Universal 3155 Issue

warden13
12/10/2007, 07:16 PM
I tried posting this on the Tunze forum but haven't found a solution yet. It appears that my Osmolator is getting some sort of electrical/magnetic interference from my T5 light ballasts. The lights were purchased from ReefGeeks (4x54W T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit by IceCap (ballast is not over driven - the maker is Vossloh Schwabe). The issue is when I have my T5's running and touch the Osmolator computer, the Osmolator's alarm goes off. It sometimes goes off when the T5's turn on. I have been trying different things like separating the Osmolator's computer and float valve/optical sensor away from the ballast and plugging the Osmolator into another room's socket (not in the same room as the ballast) but nothing has worked. I am leaving for two weeks vacation and have big concerns. I am contemplating using a timer to turn the Osmolation on when the ballasts are not but apparently that negates the 10 min safety shut-off if the pump runs for more than 10 minutes. Any possible solutions would be GREATLY appreciated.

warden13
12/11/2007, 07:25 AM
Anyone?

Paulairduck
12/11/2007, 07:59 AM
I have the same setup and have no problems. I have the ice cap retro on my frag tank and my top off from the osmo is directly under that tank. You might have a faulty unit, or I would run an extension cord from a different outlet to the osmo to see if that works.

On the timer thing you could run it on a timer when the lights are off, that would not negate the ten minute alarm when the unit has power, only when the unit is off due to the fact that is has no power from the timer.

You would also have another issue of evaporation, most of it occurring while the lights are on, and you would have no power to the osmo for top off.

it is always something with these tanks

good luck:smokin:

Wryknow
12/11/2007, 11:00 AM
I have the same set up with no problems. I was running 2 x 660 and a 440 all within 12" of the controller for 2 years and this was never an issue for me. Is there any chance that it's something else?