PDA

View Full Version : Doc's PPE Micro Growth Rate

kenske01
12/10/2007, 08:18 PM
I got these micros from reefdoctor, it's been a few months and not even a baby polyp. It looks healthy and eats a ton of mysis and cyclopeez. The other micros i got from the Doc at the same time has given me 4-6 polyps already. Just curious if this is a slow grower for others.

Can owners of this coral advise the growth rate they experience?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd43/kenske77/IMG_1962.jpg

All Delight
12/10/2007, 11:21 PM
I don't know about that exact morph. But I've experienced differences from morph to morph as well. I got the burgandy sniffers and purple haze both had 3 polyps a year ago, now I have almost 40 purple haze and 8 burgandy sniffers. Go figure......

JenDub
12/11/2007, 03:34 PM
Try feeding with marine foods, mysis & cyclo are like trying to survive on potato chips =)

kenske01
12/13/2007, 05:14 PM
JenDub, u suggested feeding marine foods. Can you elaborate?

I was under the impression that cyclopeeze and mysis are considered marine food. btw, i do mix various Kent liquid food/supplement with whatever i am feeding...ie Coral Accel, Micro-Vert, phytoplankton...

Thanks,
Kenny

Jefe12234
12/13/2007, 06:06 PM
The mysis shrimp (P.E. mysis anyway) and cyclop-eeze that we buy are actually grown in and harvested from freshwater. Although, they're chosen for they're excellent nutritional composition so I'm not sure why they would be a bad choice. The alternative would be to feed marine based frozen foods made from shrimp, squid, octopus, etc.

thecichlidpleco
12/13/2007, 07:49 PM
squid has huge amount of protein that has helped with my growth rates

JenDub
12/14/2007, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11379343#post11379343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jefe12234
The mysis shrimp (P.E. mysis anyway) and cyclop-eeze that we buy are actually grown in and harvested from freshwater. Although, they're chosen for they're excellent nutritional composition so I'm not sure why they would be a bad choice. The alternative would be to feed marine based frozen foods made from shrimp, squid, octopus, etc.

For lps I typically use chopped squid & krill but for weekly feedings and arti-pods for daily feedings. The arti-pods are probably the best choice considering micros are so small and it is tough to get the squid/krill down to a size they can digest.

Also, fish roe (eggs) from the local fish market work wonders =)

kenske01
12/15/2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys/gals. I really appreciate the advice. :)

I will pay a visit to the market tomorrow for some squid and silversides. figure i'll start with that for a few weeks to see if i get better results. Tried getting fish roe today, but everywhere i went have only offer pre-seasoned ones. I will keep on searching for un-tainted fish roe :). I'll report the results in a couple of weeks.

Eventually, im sure ill give arti-pods a shot.