PDA

View Full Version : R.O. Water With My Tank???

peterfarhangi
12/10/2007, 08:39 PM
I have a 210 Gallon Aquarium with a baby bamboo shark, yellow tang, clown trigger, long spine urchin, and live rock/sand. My question is can I ues tap water (yes i know i need to add salt) or does it have to R.O. water like I have been using for my water changes? 50 gallons a week. I don't have a spot of an R.O. unit in my condo by the way. Any help? Thanks guys

2thdeekay
12/10/2007, 09:21 PM
I'd recommend RO/DI, especially when inverts are involved. However, since you are doing almost 25% water changes every week, you might be able to get away with sediment & carbon block filtration alone. (3 stage drinking water filter-just get a good one, perhaps from the filter guys).

Our lfs (reef store) recently started using RODI last year. They used to use city water filtered with a carbon filter.

I use a zero waste RODI myself. I added a pressure pump to my RO, that boosts pressure to 100psi. The (prefiltered) RO waste water is sent back to my hot water line, after passing thru 2 check valves. Waste water is thus used for taking showers, washing dishes, etc, and not sent directly to the sewer. The RO water is sent thru a DI unit before going to the reef.

Toddrtrex
12/11/2007, 12:31 PM
You can still get an RO/DI maker living in a condo, I live in a town house and just hook it up to the sink, when I am done with it I just place the unit under the sink.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/RO_DI1.jpg

reefer334
12/11/2007, 04:05 PM
Be careful with that clown trigger and bamboo shark,the triger will eat its eyes eventually,I lost PJ shark to that,triggers and sharks do not mix.I would use ro/di I water I use it now and wish I would have bought one a long time ago.Good luck, Chris

JustinReef
12/11/2007, 05:10 PM
I live in a condo and also use a RODI unit hooked up to my sink. Just connect it when i need it. Very easy.