PDA

View Full Version : BB fuge and detritus

AlexB650
12/10/2007, 09:47 PM
I originally decided to run a BB fuge because I didn't want to worry about detritus build up. however, that's exactly what's happened. the dimensions are about 14x11x11. I have 30-40lbs of LR in there and chaeto. My flow rate through there is probably about 75 or 80 gph.

My problem is that I have a mandarin, so i don't want to run a lot of flow in there because I want the pods to be able to breed in there. So, what can I do to be able to have a healthy pod population, yet have enough flow to keep detritus from building up? Because of the amount of LR that I have, it's very difficult to vacuum.

here are a few ideas I had, let me know what you think or if there is a better solution: 1) running a powerhead in there on a reverse timer (with my fuge lights) since the pods only seem to come out when the lights are on; 2) having the powerhead on a timer (at night) where it only comes on for 30 minutes each night; and/or 3) getting a small cleanup crew for my sump that will eat the detritus.

Note: Running a powerhead in the sump, will lead to the detritus dumping into my display. I'm hoping, however, that I have enough flow [32x] to keep it in the water column to be absorbed by filter feeders or picked up by filter socks.

Thanks,
Alex

reefnetworth
12/10/2007, 10:00 PM
a filter sock on your input line helps alot. just remember to wash it out about once a week.
to remove what you have in there now?
when you do your next water change, syphon it out. :thumbsup:
have a good night!

AlexB650
12/10/2007, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11358769#post11358769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
a filter sock on your input line helps alot. just remember to wash it out about once a week.
to remove what you have in there now?
when you do your next water change, syphon it out. :thumbsup:
have a good night!

I do have a filter sock; it's 100 microns. and, by siphon i presume that you mean vacuum--siphoning it won't work since it's sitting on the floor.

chris4869
12/12/2007, 10:38 AM
I think the siphon will work, but you have to empty the bucket more often to keep the water level from being the same. A wider container will keep the siphon going longer.