PDA

View Full Version : China made products and led?

crazedreefer
12/11/2007, 01:01 AM
So with all this talk about china producing things that have high amounts of led, could this transfer over to our hobby and possibly hurt our tanks. I mean, phosban reactors, ca reactors, pumps of all kinds, heaters, etc. Maybe I am just crazy, but I would like to hear people's thoughts on this...

Mr31415
12/11/2007, 04:39 AM
led like in lead, the metal?

2farNorth
12/11/2007, 05:50 AM
Most of the items they are having troubles with are painted, not a whole lot of items that we put in our tanks are painted....and if they are, they shouldn't be.....

BangkokMatt
12/11/2007, 08:13 AM
I just bought some moonlight leds from china and they're great. :p

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/11/2007, 08:27 AM
In general, I'd worry more about copper than lead. Copper is not nearly as toxic to people as is lead, so it is typically allowed at much higher levels in all things, including drinking water. But in reef tanks, copper is very toxic, so using items, especially chemicals, intended for human use or freshwater use might be problematic.

BangkokMatt
12/11/2007, 09:28 AM
Nice to see Dr Holmes-Farley back in reef discussions.

crazedreefer
12/11/2007, 10:29 AM
yeah, lead, as in metal...I was not sure if what they used to color all the plastic pieces might have lead in them. Cause I know the plastic has to be dyed to get its color, so I thought the lead might be in there...also I have seen alot of heaters that have painted decals on them...but I was just curious is all...looks like I got my answer...thanks guys...