PDA

View Full Version : 125gal from Fresh to Saltwater

bleys7
12/11/2007, 12:01 PM
I am pretty much heading in the direction of turning my freshwater tank into a saltwater tank. It is a 125gal tank. I have a few questions on whether what I have is sufficient and what minor changes must be made...

I have a Fluval 405 cannister filter (for 100gal) and a "hang on back" filter (for 75gal) that is keeping my tank clean so far.

The substrate is of small rocks mixed with shells (in an attempt to harden the water a bit).

My intentions are to slowly convert the tank into salt.

Newlin
12/11/2007, 12:10 PM
What kind of saltwater tank are you wanting? Are you wanting to do a fish only, fish with live rock, Reef? You need to try to get a sump setup on that tank if you are going with salt IMO. I just think they are better than the hob's and the can filters. You are going to need at least 4 power heads for flow. Answer some of this and there will be a lot of people on here tell you what you need.

papagimp
12/11/2007, 12:15 PM
Well during your conversion process, I'd ditch the HOB filter and Canister filter, both are uncessary IME and the substrate should be removed and replaced with an appropriate aragonite marine based substrate. IMO there isn't really a way to slowly convert the tank into a saltwater tank. Now you definatly want to take your time and slowly let the tank mature but as for swapping it over to saltwater, pretty much just a matter of emptying the tank, cleaning it, filling it back up with the appriopriate water, chemicals, substrates, rocks, ect. ect.

fwiw, I believe freshwater snail shells are a source of phosphate and when they break down in a saltwater enviroment, may help fuel unwanted algae growth.

Now all that said, the HOB filter and canister can be used, but depending on the type of setup you are going for, may not want to use em. If you want just a fish only tank or a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) than yeah, they can be used, but in a reef tank, where the rock and sand provide all your biological filtering, they should be used for chemical and mechanical filtering only, not biological filter (which means remove the bio media from them and keep the mechnical filter media and carbon well cleaned, at least once a week minimum). Also might add that adding saltwater to the tank will "harden" the water appropriately. Using rocks and substrate aren't used to harden saltwater but to assist with buffering the water and only then if the right type of materials are used (aragonite, calcium carbonate based substrates)

papagimp
12/11/2007, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11361812#post11361812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sooner Handyman
What kind of saltwater tank are you wanting? Are you wanting to do a fish only, fish with live rock, Reef? You need to try to get a sump setup on that tank if you are going with salt IMO. I just think they are better than the hob's and the can filters. You are going to need at least 4 power heads for flow. Answer some of this and there will be a lot of people on here tell you what you need.

I agree with trying to get a sump setup, or better yet a sump/fuge for the tank. Makes a world of difference but not 100% necessary (although I personal consider them absolutely necessary you can get away without, just more work involved)

Don't necessarily need 4 powerheads for current though. Depends on the type and volume the power head pushes as well as weather or not you decide you utilize a closed loop system or not. If you don't drill the tank though, probably will need around 4 of them though, but just letting you know there are other options.

bleys7
12/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Much appreciated.

I hear sump is the way to go, as well as a protein skimmer. A RDSB for added security.

TBH, I would like to do as little as possible due to lack of money, mostly due to this time of year.

If I did a change from FW to SW I would prob'ly go the route of GSPs as they are brought in with FW and then I can adjust and allow SW bacteria to form as I slowly add the salt.

I am thinking Fish only for right now. Then maybe I can add LR later with more funds.

I guess I'm looking to make the transition more of a project since that is how the money would be paying for all of this (over time).

With GSPs I have been thinking that would be perfect for this type of transition...

papagimp
12/11/2007, 12:24 PM
for a minute there I thought you were refering to Green Star Polyps (often refered to as GSP's)

As a means of saving yourself loads of money, take a trip to the DIY forums. So many good options there to help setup a tank at minimal expenses. Such as building your own sump/fuge (easy to do by the way, I've done many and I'm not a "handy man" by anymeans) As well as DIY lighting, Even Making your own rock! Which can save loads of money especially if you have sufficeint time to cure it all prior to use.

bleys7
12/11/2007, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11361901#post11361901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp
for a minute there I thought you were refering to Green Star Polyps (often refered to as GSP's)

As a means of saving yourself loads of money, take a trip to the DIY forums. So many good options there to help setup a tank at minimal expenses. Such as building your own sump/fuge (easy to do by the way, I've done many and I'm not a "handy man" by anymeans) As well as DIY lighting, Even Making your own rock! Which can save loads of money especially if you have sufficeint time to cure it all prior to use.

I am heading there now!

Doing a quick change may be best as well. I have a 75gal tank/stand/filter/etc that I am trying to get rid of which would easily help that. But haven't convinced anyone to take it yet. lol

papagimp
12/11/2007, 12:32 PM
lol, check to see if theres a local fish club in your area, I bet you could easily find someone to take that 75g. I just bought one the other day from a fellow local reefer here in OK. I always keep my eyes open for good deals through my club and have funded several tanks doing just that. Heck, got the 220g for less than $600 :D I also see plenty of "advertisments" at the various Local Fish stores I frequent. One of them may let ya stick an ad up for the setup for sale or something. Just some thoughts.