PDA

View Full Version : Tropical and mediterranean fish

CoMMaNdeR
12/11/2007, 12:42 PM
I am wondering if anyone ever mixed the species of both seas?
Is this a good idea, if you acclimate them to the right condition.. Mediterranean is a bit more salty but if you reduce the salanity gradually I am sure they can live with tropical fish. I am saying this because I made it in the past..

I was thinking to add a painted comber to my reef, small size approximately 1 inch long.. Will he be safe with corals ?

MarkusII
12/11/2007, 11:47 PM
Hello,

the temperature in the Mediterranean is colder in winter than in our tropical reef tanks and normally not as hot in summer as well.
Some animals of the shore zone (like hermits, urchins, anemones, shrimps) are used to hotter temperatures in the summer period as they live in tidal pools e.g.
So they can survive in a tropical reef tank for some time but it is not ideal if there is no decreased temperature in winter and their livespan will be shorter.

So therefore I would not mix these species with our tropical animals and try to keep them in a seperate tank which can be cooled in winter.

regards

Markus

demonsp
12/11/2007, 11:51 PM
I think he is a FOWLR fish only. http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=marine&uid=default&ID=0037&view_records=1