PDA

View Full Version : new idea for acjr wireless

jaysonsd
12/11/2007, 11:35 PM
I don't own one yet, so stop me if this doesn't work:

serial to your pc, pc connected to the internet; access your comp from anywhere using tightvnc (http://www.tightvnc.com/); it will allow you to manipulate your GUI from another comp and check the parameters from aquanotes running on your comp and change anything through aquanotes. How's it sound?

kenargo
12/12/2007, 11:47 AM
It looks to me like it would work but I have a concern about the security of this type of setup. It would be one thing if someone hacked into your AC3 but connecting the entire desktop on the internet; wow.

ckoral
01/10/2008, 02:37 PM
I thought the serial port could not stay hooked up during normal operations.

clp
01/11/2008, 11:12 AM
Yes, you can leave the serial port always connected on the Jr.

Curt

ckoral
01/11/2008, 11:21 AM
has anyone created a program that can pull the JR's data via the serial port and used a PC to host a web server page for view and possibly control of the device?

My main attraction for the AC3 is the built in web server. Wish they would make a JR priced box that had a web server on it.

khoile
01/12/2008, 02:05 AM
Unless your PC is normally on all the time, don't forget having a PC just to run AC Jr is a waste of electricity. I'm not sure how much, but a 300W PC running 24/7 is not cheap.

BigAl2007
01/15/2008, 07:44 AM
I do this from time to time. I don't always have it hooked up because my laptop is about 9' feet away from my tank and I don't like the cord always across the floor. I use a "Remote Acess" program for PC trouble shooting and just adding my laptop to my "Client List". I can access it from anywhere in the world with a HighSpeed account and control it as if I was sitting there in front of it. It's SWEET! I just wish my AC Jr. were wireless but that's another story :)