PDA

View Full Version : Wave motion with just one vortech?

nanoguy
12/12/2007, 12:41 AM
I am contemplating on purchasing a vortech for my Elos 70. It's a 55 gallon with a fairly small footprint (30"x24.5"x19"). I was wondering if I can get that "wave" motion by just utilizing one vortech? I've attached a pic of the setup.

http://home.pacbell.net/deejay27//reef/aquascaping_nov_23_07.jpg

EcoTech Marine
12/12/2007, 11:01 AM
On a tank this size I think you'll be good to go with one pump on the side of the tank. It won't be too hard to make a wave on that tank but it will probably be way too big!

-Tim

nhlives
12/12/2007, 06:18 PM
I have a 120 and one pump. I get good enough wave action and have decided to postpone buying the second pump.

nanoguy
12/13/2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably place an order soon.

Leafer
12/13/2007, 06:56 PM
how do you get that wave, pulse mode?

melev
12/15/2007, 12:30 AM
Yes, and it is a relatively quick pulse at that.

GSMguy
12/16/2007, 06:09 PM
yes i have a wave in a 50g works good :)

dav99
01/05/2008, 04:34 PM
How it is? The slower the pulse, the bigger the wave?

jankyjameson
01/18/2008, 11:30 AM
nanoguy, or anyone else with the system 70 or 30" wide tank for that matter, will you please post wave-motion results? i really want to get a vortech for mine, but want to make sure the pump can switch fast enough to create true wave motion in this small of a width. also, if it can, i want to make sure it's not so big that it spills over the sides of the tank :)

Leafer
01/18/2008, 03:11 PM
It switches fast. It can go on and off faster than you'll want I'm sure. I find that the idle speed is pretty significant so to get a good push you have to crank it up quite high. Too bad it couldn't spin backwards. I prefer the other programs because the pump will run more quietly with them. Its wonderful to have such control of the flow.

nanoguy
01/18/2008, 04:43 PM
My pump is out for warranty work but I should be getting it back sometime next week. I will post a vid up once I get it setup again.

dukecola
02/02/2008, 06:57 PM
I just got my VT today! I have it on a Elos 70 and plan to experiment tomorrow while watching the PATS go 19-0. I have it on reef crest now and honestly can't tell what it's doing, seems like the same as constant speed mode. Doesn't seem random. I've been watching the corner of an elegance, and it's movement doesn't change. Oh well, test out wave making later.

jsw
02/02/2008, 09:28 PM
I have waves in my 29 with one Vortech:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3274887764380993725&q=vortech+pulse+mode&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

melev
02/03/2008, 12:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11749592#post11749592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dukecola
I just got my VT today! I have it on a Elos 70 and plan to experiment tomorrow while watching the PATS go 19-0. I have it on reef crest now and honestly can't tell what it's doing, seems like the same as constant speed mode. Doesn't seem random. I've been watching the corner of an elegance, and it's movement doesn't change. Oh well, test out wave making later.

You won't see much change in Reefcrest, and the only way to tell it is changing is to put your hand on the motor and feel how it varies slightly.

Or set it to Pulse mode and get it alternating pretty quickly to get a wave. I was at DaveJ's house last night, and got both of his VorTech's to do a mild wave in his tank. The way the tank is built, he didn't want much of a wave, so it was set just enough to make his frogspawn move back and forth. He already saw better clarity in the tank 24 hours later, and noticed how the sand stayed down better.

Cinderblock
02/03/2008, 10:25 AM
nanoguy - where did you end up placing your Vortech on the Elos? I have a 60 and had it in the back but am thinking of moving it to the side as suggested by ecotech marine. Can you post some pictures if you have them?

nanoguy
02/04/2008, 11:37 AM
I put mine on the side of the tank about 3/4 way up. I will try to post a short vid of it in action by the end of the day.

cspurr
03/02/2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Tim,

I love the positive info I have read on your product...
Also, KUDOS to all of you young innovators out there seeking their dreams. I about crapped when I saw how young all of you guys were - and the titles that go along with your positions. I think it is outstanding that you guys had the desire and drive to seek out your dreams in starting a company like this...absolutely fantastic - I hope you are in business 50 years from now...probably will all be millionaires when you go public - based on the reviews I have read - HA HA HA. I hold an MBA out of Indiana.

ANYWAY - ON TO MY QUESTION...

Is one of these pumps too large for a 29g? I am thinking of purchasing one of these and was looking at Tunze until I stumbled upon your company - love the innovation. I don't want the saltwater splashing outside of my tank...that would be a mess.

Thanks for your time and inspiration,
-Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11369038#post11369038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EcoTech Marine
On a tank this size I think you'll be good to go with one pump on the side of the tank. It won't be too hard to make a wave on that tank but it will probably be way too big!

-Tim

melev
03/03/2008, 12:59 AM
Chris, it'll be fine on a 29g.

http://evanluck.com/project%20x/tank%20clean/clean_tank.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11720003#post11720003

EcoTech Marine
03/03/2008, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11994266#post11994266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cspurr
Hi Tim,

I love the positive info I have read on your product...
Also, KUDOS to all of you young innovators out there seeking their dreams. I about crapped when I saw how young all of you guys were - and the titles that go along with your positions. I think it is outstanding that you guys had the desire and drive to seek out your dreams in starting a company like this...absolutely fantastic - I hope you are in business 50 years from now...probably will all be millionaires when you go public - based on the reviews I have read - HA HA HA. I hold an MBA out of Indiana.

ANYWAY - ON TO MY QUESTION...

Is one of these pumps too large for a 29g? I am thinking of purchasing one of these and was looking at Tunze until I stumbled upon your company - love the innovation. I don't want the saltwater splashing outside of my tank...that would be a mess.

Thanks for your time and inspiration,
-Chris

Chris,

Thanks so much for your kind words. It's a real pleasure to hear such positive feedback, especially considering the amount of work and passion that has gone into this over the past few years.

As Marc showed you, 29gallon is definitely not too small for a VorTech.

-Tim

melev
03/03/2008, 02:54 PM
Hey Tim - today I got a phone call and the guy asked me "Is this EcoTech?" I told him "No, this is Melev's Reef!" :lol:

EcoTech Marine
03/03/2008, 03:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11999624#post11999624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Hey Tim - today I got a phone call and the guy asked me "Is this EcoTech?" I told him "No, this is Melev's Reef!" :lol:

Ha! That's pretty bizarre. Hopefully you directed him to us.

-Tim

melev
03/03/2008, 05:27 PM
Heck no. I talked to him about a product I sell. :D However, he wanted to build it himself, so I wished him luck.

Odds are he had a list of vendors he was about to call, and you were his next call. And after talking to you, he probably would build his own VorTecho. :lol: