PDA

View Full Version : Rowaphos

auckreef
12/12/2007, 01:50 AM
Firstly, my current tank is a 3 year old 55 gallon bare bottom, mainly sps. It's been going real well but over the last 6 months or so has got a bryopsis problem that has steadily worsened till it's just TOO bad & i've decided to start up my old phosphate reactor, with rowaphos.

The question is i've heard horror stories about Rowaphos causing TN, so just hoping people can give me any info on this & point me in the right direction. :)

Where I'm up to so far is I started the reactor 2 days ago, I'm going gently with just 1/10th litre of Rowaphos in the reactor. It was thoroughly flushed first till the water was clear, and is on a timer so the reactor comes on 4 times per day for 15 minutes per time. This is to hopefully avoid shock, and I'm hoping to increase this till it's eventually running 24/7.

I love my acros most of them I have been growing for many years I don't want any damage, so anything anyone can share with me re using Rowaphos safely will be greatly appreciated.

Kip
12/12/2007, 12:22 PM
i think you have it covered.... start with a low dose and be sure to rinse the media in ro/di before use

Kinetic
12/12/2007, 12:26 PM
no need to have it come only only sometimes per day, that might be worse than having it on constantly.

have you checked your phosphate levels? or are you doing this on a hunch? If I wer eyou, I would test for phosphate and monitor it slowly.

auckreef
12/13/2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks Kip. You say start with a low dose, you mean next change i could use a larger quantity?

Kinetic, yes I have a hanna colorimeter, phosphate is low but I think it is all in the algae. As for monitoring phosphate reduction slowly, I'm not convinced the problems caused by Rowaphos are nessecarily due to reduction in phosphate, they could be something else. But I'm not sure.

Why worse to have it come on several times per day?

Mike de Leon
12/13/2007, 07:13 AM
Hey Aukreef, not intentionally hijacking your thread here. I happen to have the same issue. I have reduced the number of livestock to help reduce nutrient levels.
Anyway, can one use a regular canister filter for the media? Or does it have to be a designed reactor?
I have a canister that pumps out 70 gal/hour.

Kip
12/13/2007, 12:06 PM
should be fluidized for best results

Kip
12/13/2007, 12:08 PM
dose... i like to tell people to start out w/ a few teaspoons and work their way up.

i'd rather see small amounts used and change frequently than a lot used and left for a long time

i only use 12-15 teas changed out @ 3-4wks on my system (~450g TSV.... 225g display and 70g frag tank... rest are sumps, fuges, etc)

auckreef
12/13/2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks Kip, great advice. :)

Hi Mike, just to add to Kips reply, I haven't used Rowaphos for many years, until now, but I can remember using it in a cannister years ago, it was never that effective because it has to be put in a bag, and it clumps and becomes barely penetrable for the water. Then i made a reactor that would fluidise it & wow! what a difference. Also rowaphos is fairly expensive so may as well use it in such a way as to get the full benefit from it I would highly recommend a reactor.

But all I had in those days was a few softies, hence why I am asking these questions about is now as I don't want any harm to the more delicate corals I have now.

trueblackpercula
12/13/2007, 06:28 PM
I have been thinking about using it as well. i have a 140 gallons of water what brand should I use? and what should I start out with ? I see lots of them on ebay whats good?

Michael

Kip
12/13/2007, 06:53 PM
i bought rowa in bulk so i have plenty for a while... but if i were to buy now, i would look into more of a pellet sized media for easier use/reloading/etc

auckreef
12/13/2007, 08:25 PM
If you are talking about brand of reactor, this is a good one, although any of the ones from marine depot are good.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~TL4311~idCategory~FIFRISPR~category~Two_Little_Fishies_ Phosban_Reactor_150_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Filters_Inline__Specialty_Phosphate_Reactors~vendor~ .html

EDIT - for some reason i can't post the link properly, but go to marine depot, and search phosphate reactors. IMO the Two Little Fishies one is a good one, but any will do.

trueblackpercula
12/13/2007, 08:31 PM
Dead link

auckreef
12/13/2007, 09:31 PM
Please see the EDIT :)

Go to MarineDepot, and search phosphate reactors, any of those will be good.

Mike de Leon
12/14/2007, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11378677#post11378677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by auckreef

Hi Mike, just to add to Kips reply, I haven't used Rowaphos for many years, until now, but I can remember using it in a cannister years ago, it was never that effective because it has to be put in a bag, and it clumps and becomes barely penetrable for the water. Then i made a reactor that would fluidise it & wow! what a difference. Also rowaphos is fairly expensive so may as well use it in such a way as to get the full benefit from it I would highly recommend a reactor.

But all I had in those days was a few softies, hence why I am asking these questions about is now as I don't want any harm to the more delicate corals I have now.

Thanks for the input. I almost put the media in a canister filter just bacause my LFS said it was okay.
I will be getting a reactor....
Cheers!

Mike de Leon
12/14/2007, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11378677#post11378677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by auckreef

Thanks for the input. I almost put the media in a canister filter just bacause my LFS said it was okay.
I will be getting a reactor....
Cheers!

radone
12/14/2007, 05:42 PM
Kinetic,
what is that fish in your avatar?
Beautiful specimen, do you have it?

Sorry for steering the thread of course :cool:

Mike de Leon
12/15/2007, 10:04 AM
Will taking the phosphate remove the hair algae?

auckreef
12/15/2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, you will see the algae whiten, then eventually die. Just depends how much phosphate is in your system though, if the problem has been going a long time and the rocks are clogged with phosphate, the rocks can leach phosphate as fast as it is being removed from the water so can take a while to see results. But if you are using a fluidised reactor, just stay the course, and it will happen! :)

Mike de Leon
12/16/2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the help...I was loosing hope.

Mike de Leon
12/16/2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the help...I was loosing hope.

stony_corals
12/16/2007, 05:22 PM
This is what is dangerous with gfo, you can reduce phosphates to the point that its limiting. If the algae turns white, that can not be good for your corals. Every living thing requires P. It sounds like you are going slow.. That's the way to go.

atf72
12/16/2007, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11386158#post11386158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by radone
Kinetic,
what is that fish in your avatar?
Beautiful specimen, do you have it?

Sorry for steering the thread of course :cool:

Tailspot blenny, as stated above the photo. Very cool and inexpensive fish, but not worth much as a phosphate remover....

Mike de Leon
12/18/2007, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, I also have some bubble algae. Will this be controlled as well? Surprisingly it hasn't taken over the tank...

auckreef
12/19/2007, 12:47 AM
Probably won't get rid of the bubble algae, it can live in extremely low nutrients. But blue legged hermit crabs eat it.

Big E
12/19/2007, 03:08 AM
Here's all you need to know in this thread about Rowaphos from direct conversations with the owner David Saxby......

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500727&highlight=rowaphos

auckreef
12/19/2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks Big E i read the whole thing.

One interesting part near the end, where a guy recommended to a guy with a smallish tank, that he should start with a litre of Rowaphos and simply run the water through it really slow, and build up over time, not sure i would want to try that?