PDA

View Full Version : Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral in nano?

fishorcutbait
12/12/2007, 06:11 AM
So my clownfish looks a bit lonely all by itself and I would like to try a soft coral for it to be friends with. Currently, no corals yet, just live rock. I like the looks of a Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral. However, my LFS guy tells me that I can't sustain one in my 12 gallon tank if I don't have a skimmer. Is that really true? What other similar looking coral could I get that the clownfish might like?

nemofish2217
12/12/2007, 09:53 AM
why can't you??? is it because of the chemical warfare? I have one in my 14 gallon and it is doing fine... I would just suggest to maybe run carbon....

gsusfreak
12/12/2007, 11:13 AM
skimmers are overrated in small tanks...just my opinion and there are plenty of folks who run their nanos skimmerless, with tons of corals including leathers

sounds to me that you LFS is just looking to make an extra buck in getting you to buy a skimmer

BusterDog
12/12/2007, 11:28 AM
My clownfish love my toadstool. They can grow quickly and get huge.
I've had mine for 2 years, & it can stretch out to about 12" in diameter. That's pretty big for my 29 gal. tank. I can't imagine it in a 12.
It might be pretty cool if it is your only coral.

GoingPostal
12/12/2007, 11:31 AM
It'll be just fine. I had five small toadstools in a ten gallon and now have a green polyped one in my 12 gallon now. Obviously it's going to outgrow eventually but I don't see any other problem, softies do just fine without a skimmer.

gatordoc
12/12/2007, 08:23 PM
If you have leathers you need to run carbon. That has been my experience...

sprinj76
12/12/2007, 11:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11369115#post11369115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gsusfreak
skimmers are overrated in small tanks...just my opinion and there are plenty of folks who run their nanos skimmerless, with tons of corals including leathers

sounds to me that you LFS is just looking to make an extra buck in getting you to buy a skimmer

Yes and No. I think for the $85 is spent on my coralife 65 skimmer it was definitely worth it. It allows water quality to remain a bit higher than it would otherwise and I don’t have to worry about super strict weekly water change schedule.

On the otherhand if you keep up with small water changes I agree a skimmer isn't need. With smaller tanks, 15 gallons and under, I agree skimmer isn’t an absolutely necessary.

gsusfreak
12/13/2007, 01:11 AM
i never really disagreed.....it just seemed like his LFS was trying to make a quick buck.....when truth be told, skimmers arent really necessary...im sure people who have skimmers will feel like they got their money's worth

Tremolo
12/13/2007, 08:43 AM
I don't think it will get too big. Once it starts to grow and look like it is over taking the tank you can frag it and sell/trade to help support your hobby.