PDA

View Full Version : How long can it cook?

causeofhim
12/12/2007, 11:01 AM
I searched, but could not find. . .

I have a 55 gal Brute filled with live rock that I have been cooking for a barebottom startup of a 150 gal. The rock was filled with aptasia, HA, and other nasties. I began cooking it about a year ago.

Yes a year.

I flushed the rock and changed the water about once a month for about six months. I then just kept the water topped up and have been waiting to start the tank.

Life came up and the tank has been sidetracked, but now am ready to get her going.

Do you think this was too long to cook the rock? Shouls i do somthig to kick some "good" life back into it? I don't want to add other live rock to it, that would negate part of the reason for cooking to begin with.

What do you think?

Thanks

Agu
12/12/2007, 11:08 AM
How does the rock look and water smell ? I'd remove each piece, inspect and clean it , and put it in a fresh batch of saltwater,

If you still have aiptasia you may want to add some peppermint shrimp to the tub.

If after a couple of weeks in the new water there isn't any detectable ammonia you should be good to go.

causeofhim
12/12/2007, 11:09 AM
Everything looks and smells great!

It seemed to be ready to use about 6 months ago.

I am just concerned that I may have killed off needed/helpful life that may have needed light or food within the last year.

Blown 346
12/12/2007, 11:14 AM
If it smells good and looks good then ther is beneficial life and you can go ahead and use it. Adding shrimp while cooking rock isnt a great idea as shrimp are sensitive and I can almost guarantee they wont last.