PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Bubble Anemone

SWINGRRRR
12/12/2007, 11:11 AM
Long story short, I am babysitting a Bubble Anemone for a week or so. My club did a group order which I spearheaded. I have no want or knowhow to keep a Bubble Anemone.
The guy that ordered it PM'd me and said he has to goto ATL for week for a family emergency.

My tank is a 65 that has been running for about 3 weeks now. I have dual 96watt PC's. 20L sump, Quite One 3K return, Mag 9.5 CL, ER RS-80 skimmer, fuge, etc, etc. The only thing I have so far is a Green Chromis, and a Clown (dont know what kind.)

What do I need to do to keep this thing in my tank for a week?

Any advice help would be appreciated. I know I am ill prepared, but I had no intentions of keeping this thing for any period of time. This was not a misguided purchase, as its not my animal.

garygb
12/12/2007, 11:30 AM
First of all, cover the pump intakes with sponge to prevent the anemone from being sucked in. Sometimes BTA's wander when introduced to a new tank. I'm hoping this tank is fully cycled, as anemones are not fond of any ammonia or nitrite. BTA's naturally live on live rock and will want a cave or crevice to attach. They like random, moderate flow (as opposed to laminar). Water parameters should be: specific gravity 1.025-1.026, temp. 78-80, preferably 0 nitrate (although they aren't too particular in this regard), bright light. As far as the light, two 96-watt PC's could be fine, assuming the anemone is not too far away from the bulbs, that the bulbs are daylight (6-10000K), and the bulbs aren't old (preferably <10months). The anemone will wander until it finds a spot it likes. You have a mag 9.5 and quiet one, so you should be fine in the flow department. Tell us what you parameters are and the Kelvin for your bulbs.

SWINGRRRR
12/12/2007, 11:49 AM
The bulbs are only about 3 months old now. 1 is white, and 1 is Actinic. I can try to get the numbers off of them in a sec. They are turned off while I am putting my part of the order in my DT.

I guess I should put the BTA in my DT so it will have light? If I put it in my 'fuge all it will have is the floursent spot light for the algae. The one Melev suggest from HD. If it goes in my DT how hard will it be to get it out for him when he comes home?

All the pump inlet are covered. I have had the water checked at the LFS when I bought the fish, on 2 separate occasions. When I sat the tank up a couple of weeks ago, the Live rock was fully cured. Some came from a Local Aquarium. It was in a display tank, like to the public, paying patrons, etc.

Sorry I have so many stupid questions. I didn't ask for this situation, it was thrust upon me.

garygb
12/12/2007, 12:11 PM
Questions you are asking aren't stupid; I'm just glad you're making the effort to try and provide this anemone with a good home. 3 month old bulbs are good. If you were going to be keeping this anemone, I would say swap the actinic for another daylight, but since you are just babysitting I won't suggest that (although, in general, it is better to go with daylights for the majority of shallow water cnidaria aquarists keep). As far as "hard to get it out," if a BTA finds a spot in the live rock it likes, they tend to be pretty stationary. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is take the anemone and the LR. Also, in general, anemones are only added to tanks that have been set up several months, as a rule-of-thumb. BTA's can fare fine, however, if the water parameters are good.

If this one settles in, you might decide to keep it. Why someone would take an anemone from their tank and plop it down in someone else's while they are gone for a week is beyond me. Makes me question if the owner knows much about anemones.

SWINGRRRR
12/12/2007, 12:18 PM
I mis posted in the top section. My tank has been going over 2 months. I dont know where I got 3 weeks!?!?!! I am so stressed out about this order right now.

The daylight is a 12K and the Actinic just says "True Actinic."

He didnt plop it in my tank. We ordered from CA. After the order was placed he had to goto ATL for an emergency. He should be back in a couple of days, hopefully. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and put it in my Fuge. The light in there is white and there is just small rubble encase it attaches.

Thanks for your help.