PDA

View Full Version : Non Jumpers

gkimble
12/12/2007, 12:58 PM
I am doing a rimless 40 gallon tank that reads 36"x18"X13"tall.
Stock list so far
Pair of ocelaris clowns.
I want a pair or a couple more fish. But they can't be jumpers.
That takes the wrasse family out.
Probbaly the gobys
Need some ideas at a standstill

ezcompany
12/12/2007, 03:15 PM
gobys jump too.
in fact all fish will jump. its just a matter of when.
they are used to having infinite amounts of water above them.
a moonlight will help with jumpers as most fish spook at night

Big E
12/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Psuedechromis & Royal grammas are good bets not to jump. Any fish that stay close to the rockwork are less likely to jump.

Keeping your rockwork at a lower profile helps too. Fish don't generally stray too far above the upper level of the rocks & corals.

jmaneyapanda
12/12/2007, 03:50 PM
seahorses. otherwise, expect fish jerky at some time.

gkimble
12/12/2007, 05:00 PM
WHo here has an open top tank that has kept fish witout jumping for an extended amount of time

marc price
12/13/2007, 12:51 AM
I'm assuming rim-less isn't in ref. to a zero edge aquarium.

I don't know what you qualify as an extended amount of time?

I've an open top aquarium 72"x18"18":

1) list of long term non jumpers;

current non-jumpers / years in captivity / starting size - current or when was sold or died

copper-banded butterfly currently going on 4 / ~3" - 4"
purple tang / 3 / ~1' - 4"
maldives clownfish / 5.5 / ~1/2" - 4"

past non-jumpers / years / size
clown triggerfish / 6 /size 3/4" grew to ~9"
powder-blue tang / 5 / 2" - 9"
c. semilarvatus / 5 / 2" - 7"
tomato clown / 5 / ~1.5"-~3.5"
maroon clown / 5 / 1.5" - 3"
scribbled angle / 3 / 3.5" - 7"
p. asfur angle / 5 / 4"- ~7"

2)list of long term jumpers;

jumpers / years / start size - size when jumped

^tank breed pseudochromis flavivertex / 4 / 1" - 3.25" (jumped a month or so after 5 year old tank breed p. fridmani died).
cleaner wrasse labroides dimidiatus / 4 / 2.5" - 3.25"
powder-blue tang / 2 - 3 / 3.5" >7" (stung by carpet anemone, found on floor next day)
a polymnus / 2 / 1" - 4" jumped out of quarantine tank, heater issue, temp spike. was cured of ick and in there until safe to return to it's carpet anemone in fish-less for no less than 2.5 - 3 months tank (once waited 2 months and the fish were re-infected). **was the only clownfish i've kept that jumped.
heniochus acuminatus / >1year / 3" *the only butterfly i've ever had jump on me

^ t-b fridmani and a t-b springeri pudeochromis jump in under or around 1 year.
Had many wrasse jump in >1 month.

Interestingly, a red sea fourline wrasse larabicus quadrilineatus bought 12/2/1995 jumped twice in the first 2 years, each time i was there, the second time i held it in my hand for a few and gave it a lecture before returning it to the tank. It never jumped again. I sold it back to the store 8/1/'00 because it began to eat a new wellsophyllia open brain coral.

zemuron114
12/13/2007, 02:29 AM
i have had random fish jump - clownfish, tusks, yellow tang (i know - weird!) scribbled angel, long nose butterfly, bluethroat, saddle wrasse, redtail wrasse, and a few others.

IMO, all fish will jump given the right circumstances. I would try a small tang (chevron or kole maybe)

Big E
12/13/2007, 04:35 AM
Interesting on the the psedechromis juming on you Marc. The ones I've had over the years never left the rockwork or got near the surface of the tank, even during feeding time. I wonder if it had anything to do with your's being tank bred.

I have always covered my open top tanks at night with eggcrate.
That might be why I've had very few jumpers over the years. I also choose my livestock to avoid agression & overcrowding issues.

Non jumpers-
Purple Tang-15 years
Blue Damsel-7
Muellers copperband-3
Yellow Tang-2
flame angel-2
maroon clowns-5
Cortez angel-5
Semilavartus-5
Flame hawk-2
psedechromis-Arabian-6
pink psedochromis-3

gkimble
12/13/2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks you guys I will look into the psedechromis-Arabian and I was thinking of a flame hawk becasue they have no swim bladder.

jmaneyapanda
12/13/2007, 12:59 PM
gkimble- not to sound too pessimistic, but this is an impossible to answer question. Here are the facts- probably every fish species kept has jumped from an aquarium at one point or another. If your question is- will they jump from your tank?- no one can answer that. I may have a wrasse that has never jumped, but it may jump within 1 minute if I move it to yours. There is an infinte number of variables which go into this. When all is said and done, a psuedo and flame hawk can easily jump from an open tank, the only way to find out if yours will jump from your tank is to try.

marc price
12/13/2007, 01:25 PM
well said jmaneyapanda!

gkimble
12/13/2007, 05:04 PM
Yes well said. I was just trying to get a view form what others have experienced. I realize that I will take a risk with any fish. I guess I am trying to avoid fish that are more prone to jumping like wrass's. Thanks everyone for your help