PDA

View Full Version : starting a new 120, looking for advice

jjakes24
12/12/2007, 01:28 PM
Well, I am upgrading my current 55 gallon to a 120 sometime in the next 2 months. Here is what I envision so far...

The 120 is a 4 x 2 x 2 tank. First, When I set this up, I plan on converting the 55 gallon to a 3 compartment sump. So when I have the 120 up, I will be running sumpless for a week or so. Below is a pic of the overall plan:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/jjakes24/fishplan.jpg

The tank will be against a wall, but I want to have the tank viewable from 3 sides in case I want to move it to another room in the future as some sort of room divider. So that means, I want the front, back, and one side completely free of pipes, wires, etc.

1) Drill two 1.5 inch drains on one side of the tank about 5 inches apart. Create a 10 inch wide by 5 inch deep overflow box around the drains. These two holes will be centered on the one side of the tank. One drain will lead to the skimmer compartment, the other to the refuge.

2) Drill two 3/4 inch returns. One on each side of the overflow box, pretty much in the corners of the one side of the tank. I will then run pipe from these returns under the plastic top of the tank brought out to the middle of the tank and connect with locline so I can direct the flow from there. I also will hook up an SCWD here. Need recommendations for a return pump. I have a mag7 I use now but I don't think it will cut it on this tank. I was going to get a mag 18 and T it off if I need to cut it back some. Would that be good enough?

Are these sizes for the drains and returns too big or too small? Too many?

3) I will build the stand to be 5 feet long, so this leaves a foot extra on the one side of the tank. This will help accomodate the 55 gallon underneath and also a 10 gallon for top off water. It will also allow me to hide the pipes on the one side of the tank by being able to enclose it. It gives me 12 inches of space which should be plenty.

Anyone have any thoughts? Also, I am going to need some sand, so if you are trying to get rid of some let me know. I am looking for aragonite this time. I have kalidoscope playsand in the 55 now but I think it is causing some issues.

jjakes24
12/12/2007, 02:03 PM
I like to add, for additional flow, I also have two 402 powerheads and two maxijet 1200 mods with the gulfstream kit. I was thinking of placing these in the corner and hook all four up to some sort of wavetimer to produce some alternating currents. Would this be too much flow?

drstupid
12/13/2007, 05:45 PM
i'd probably skip the return bulkheads and just go over the top. it gives you more freedom of choice, and your pipes will be hidden.

i've got two 1.5" drains on my tank, same size, you should be fine with them. either one can handle 800gph flow, which is more than enough turn over.

for flow, what are you planning on keeping? just fish? softies? SPS?

jjakes24
12/13/2007, 08:47 PM
trying to open it up for all three. I don't know if I like going over the top. It will be hidden but since I am drilling, I was thinking of putting the holes in now because it will be too late either. Wouldn't going over the top restrict the return more too because of more 90 elbows?

ribs
12/13/2007, 11:25 PM
I'd go over the top too with the returns. But I can see what you're doing with the 2 locline returns and think that's nice.
With a 120 and since you're willing to drill I'd put closed loop on it to get more flow than the return/scwd will give. A 120 is not small so as a reef needs as much flow as you can afford.
I fit a Sequence Dart closed loop on a 120 with 12" space on the short-side and worked nicely. I think my RC gallery has some pics of the Dart squished in that small of an area...mounted right on the side of the tank with the return over the top.
The pump:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/8754CL_Pump.jpg

The manifold:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/8754CL_Manifold_01.jpg

PS: MARY! Notice the wide-open submerged drain in that overflow pic? No Airbubbles that way :)

JYC1960
12/16/2007, 07:18 AM
hey ribs empty your mail box