PDA

View Full Version : megaflow modification ???

1628mna
12/13/2007, 12:20 AM
I have a reef ready 90 gallon tank. I wanted to re do my inlet to not break the surface but to go down the side of the overflow box vertically then go horizantally on the bottom of the tank,caping the end of the pipe. I will drill little holes on the vertical pipe and bigger holes on the horizontal piece. Has anyone ever tried this or new anyone who tried this? Any and all info on this would be greatly appreciated! thanx in advance!!!!

1628mna
12/13/2007, 08:23 AM
bump

Agu
12/13/2007, 10:10 AM
What you're talking about doing is called a spraybar. Instead of one return you're essentially making several smaller returns. The big plus is that you can drill the holes to direct water where you want it to go.

They work great if designed properly. The biggest issue is that you're putting a lot of back pressure on the return pump and reducing flow. Secondly you need to have good siphon breaks on the vertical piece near the surface so in case of a power outage you don't back siphon and empty your tank.

Agu
12/13/2007, 10:12 AM
BTW, buy lots of extra pipe, you'll probably make two or three spraybars before you get the holes just right ;) .

1628mna
12/13/2007, 10:23 AM
I will make sure to drill more than enough holes so there is no back pressure on my pump. Im not really stressed about exactly where the holes are, but im more intrested on getting the return water down to the bottom of the tank. I fell that my tank does not get cycled right from the inlet to the outlet. I also have some powerheads running about modway down the tank to. Thanx for the ideas though.