PDA

View Full Version : nitrate 2ppm

toothman
12/13/2007, 10:10 AM
I have been feeding my tank more that the past several months and really enjoying it. With the increased feedings came the usual. Bryopsis, some algae and nitrates of 2ppm, phosphate is still low .02.

One observation is that the acros never looked better, color is good and the GROWTH IS EXCELLENT..

I am wondering if it is the available food for the acros or the increased nitrate has helped the acros.

As usual I want to tweak the tank and am I am adding AZ no3. I really want to eliminate the algae.

Are there any experiences with some nitrates in a sps tank and what effect lowering them has OR the use of Az no3?

miwoodar
12/13/2007, 10:39 AM
What kind of phosphate kit are you using to read 0.02? Phosphate will typically be your limiting nutrient in algae growth.

---edit---
I read a recent post in which a guy claimed a very low phosphate number then when he tested with a Hach colorimeter the actual phosphate concentration was a factor of 10 higher.

toothman
12/13/2007, 10:46 AM
hanna

miwoodar
12/13/2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry - I know Hanna is a trusted name but I don't know how accurate their phosphate tests are. Is it the version Randy recommended?

mpoletti
12/13/2007, 11:16 AM
I know a lot of people that like nitrates in an SPS tank. I have mine around 5-10 and I am happy with that because I like fish and a sandbed. I have used AZ in the past and it works, but so does a 30% waterchange.

j.prostrata
12/13/2007, 11:37 AM
No3=colorful sps personally. Low po4 with some no3 gives me the best colors all the time. The Hanna is a very reliable tester its the testee that might make the test scued.

miwoodar
12/13/2007, 11:38 AM
My nitrates are non-detect but if they were high I would consider a sulfur nitrate reactor. 2 ppm though...that wouldn't be high enough to prompt me to do so.

Randy recommended Hach PO-24 (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php). If your phosphate is really 0.02 ppm then your micro algae growth is helping you keep it that low. You might consider adding a phosphate reactor to compete with the algae for the available phosphate. Couple that with a little manual removal and you should be set (400 gals! that could be a lot of manual removal).

This thread talks about the impact of adding a phosphate reactor (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/printthread.php?s=&threadid=1182318&perpage=321).

toothman
12/13/2007, 12:01 PM
Possibly or likely phosphate is available. Possibly I will reconsider my az no3 use.
I really like the colors of the milli now, nice and pink, birdnest nice and pink (a Manly kind of pink) blue tort nice deep blue.

So possibly it is better not to rely on a test kit and just assume there is phosphate if there is algae. I do change 30 gals with a rubbermaid can weekly and use 0.0 or close to water.

miwoodar
12/13/2007, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11376855#post11376855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by toothman
a Manly kind of pink

:lol: