PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages

SPARTAN VI
12/13/2007, 10:17 AM
Something exploded in my neighborhood last night and knocked out power to a quarter of the town. My house lost power for a split second, so we're one of the lucky folk that didn't go the night without heat. In fact the power was still out to that portion of the town this morning when I found the signal lights still weren't working.

It's probably inevitable that we'll be hit with a blackout in the future, probably during the summer. How long do you think a nano reef can last without power? Specifically the fish, corals, and inverts.

Probably should pick up a spare car battery and converter for emergencies these emergencies, just so I can at least get the heater/chiller and pumps going.

Agu
12/13/2007, 12:13 PM
Get a Pen Plax B11 aerator and hook it up to your tank. I plugs into your powerstrip and automatically starts if there's a power outage, turns off when the power is restored. Don't use the airstone though. Put some rigid tubing on the airline abd secure it so it stays submerged. Unused airstones tend to plug up.

For those of you with all in one setups, an airlift with that aerator will circulate the whole tank if it's in the last chamber in the back.

The B11 will run over 24 hours on one pair of reasonably fresh batteries.

For heat/cooling you're on your own ..............

SPARTAN VI
12/13/2007, 01:15 PM
Hey that's neat! Did a google search on the gadget but cannot locate a vendor other than eBay.