PDA

View Full Version : Reef salt necessary for inverts?

vid660
12/13/2007, 05:11 PM
I've been using Seachem reef salt and am considering using plain old IO. It's alot cheaper and available locally. I know IO is fine for fish only tanks, but I don't know if it's ok for my inverts as well.

I have a FOWLR tank with coraline algae growing. I also have inverts (pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, hermits, and snails). Is don't test for alk, ca, or mag.

Is it safe for me to switch to IO?

Thanks

MalHavoc
12/13/2007, 05:13 PM
Lots of people use IO in reef tanks. I do, and have for years and years.

I'll probably switch to Oceanic salt at some point, but only because I want a salt that mixes up at a higher calcium level, not because I think that IO salt is bad.

papagimp
12/13/2007, 05:18 PM
They're really very little differeces in the salt, they all do the same basic thing, while one brand (let's say reef crystals) will have higher mg, ca, alk levels, stuff like that compared to instant ocean both will be fine for your inverts. And if you don't test for those parameters then it's not going to matter if you are using one or the other, you're blindly using a brand. I'd test for those items at least sporadically or every few months at a minimum.

Please keep in mind that this personal opinion is only because you do not test for ca, alk, or mag. if you did test and strive to keep the parameters within normal specifications, then i'd say it might make a difference for you using one type over another.

vid660
12/13/2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will switch to IO since I really don't need the additional calcium for my tank then.

Will I need to add any type of buffers if I use IO in my tank?

Is it necessary to test for ca, alk, and mag in a FOWLR tank? I thought it was only critical for reef tanks.

Sorry for so many questions. I have so darn much money wrapped up in my tank now, I don't want to mess it up.

bertoni
12/13/2007, 06:45 PM
I use IO, and dose the calcium and magnesium levels up to 400 ppm and 1300 ppm, respectively, before using it. It's rather low in both for a reef tank, especially magnesium.

I'd test alkalinity and dose something like SeaChem's Marine Buffer in a FOWLR, to help with pH. That's assuming that coralline growth is not wanted. For coralline growth, dosing of alkalinity, calcium, and perhaps magnesium are likely to be needed.

vid660
12/13/2007, 06:47 PM
This may be a stupid question, but is coraline algae necessary?

bertoni
12/13/2007, 06:52 PM
No, and I don't miss it when it goes away. :)

vid660
12/13/2007, 06:55 PM
IO it is then. Bye Bye coraline. I don't care for the look of it myself!

Thanks!

stevelkaneval
12/13/2007, 07:54 PM
i use io and i have tons of coraline.

vid660
12/13/2007, 07:57 PM
Do you use any buffers?

SWINGRRRR
12/13/2007, 08:14 PM
I use IO "Store Only", and have Coraline. Its even spreading.

jefnalyssa
12/13/2007, 09:09 PM
I've been using IO since I started in the hobby. Your shrimp snails and hermits will be fine.

bertoni
12/14/2007, 12:43 AM
IO is fine for coralline. It's the Marine Buffer that's the issue.

stevelkaneval
12/14/2007, 01:06 AM
no i dont use any buffers just the io salt.