PDA

View Full Version : Constant water changes with concentrated salt water

aninjaatemyshoe
12/13/2007, 07:01 PM
I'm going to try setting up a constant water changing system using the Litermeter III. Is there a problem with using concentrated saltwater (say at least twice the natural concentration level)? I figure it would be easy enough to determine the amount I would need to dose based on concentration. However, I'm not sure if there would be other issues involved with using highly concentrated salt water. For instance, how concentrated could I get it so that it all still dissolves? I want to do this so that I can draw from a smaller chamber without having to make new saltwater as often.

Donw
12/13/2007, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11379759#post11379759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aninjaatemyshoe
I'm going to try setting up a constant water changing system using the Litermeter III. Is there a problem with using concentrated saltwater (say at least twice the natural concentration level)? I figure it would be easy enough to determine the amount I would need to dose based on concentration. However, I'm not sure if there would be other issues involved with using highly concentrated salt water. For instance, how concentrated could I get it so that it all still dissolves? I want to do this so that I can draw from a smaller chamber without having to make new saltwater as often.

Brine is pretty inconsistant and precips a fair amount. You can use a brine method but I wouldnt use just to save space. You can mix rodi water and brine on a as needed basis and automate as long as you control the sg.

Don

m2434
12/13/2007, 10:14 PM
I don't think you will be able to get 70ppt (2X) to dissolve. We had a system like that in the lab I worked in, in college. If I remember correclty, water saturated around 45ppt give or take...

Donw
12/13/2007, 10:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11381165#post11381165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
I don't think you will be able to get 70ppt (2X) to dissolve. We had a system like that in the lab I worked in, in college. If I remember correclty, water saturated around 45ppt give or take...

If you use supernatant and a controller you can get away with this but the precip will ruin the bottom portion of a bucket of salt. About 10%.

Don

MCsaxmaster
12/14/2007, 01:22 AM
Over a short period of time you might get away with such a salty solution without major precipitation of any of the solutes. Over the long term, as mentioned, things like CaCO3 will precipitate out and you'll end up with something very different from what you started with.

Donw
12/14/2007, 06:34 AM
If you use the supenatant route you loose about 10ppm ca with warm water, io salt. 10ppm is easy to fix. Take a look at the dialyseas system. There is a picture in one of the older reefkeeping articles that shows how the salt container is setup. Pretty simple but effective with no real side effects that cant be dealt with.

Don

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/14/2007, 06:58 AM
I do automatic water changes with dual head pump, but I use normal 35 ppt seawater. I don't recommend using it more concentrated for the reasons detailed above.