PDA

View Full Version : Moving from 135g to 300g

DaveMorris
12/14/2007, 03:00 AM
Well it is time for me to jump into the ranks of the Big Tanks. I currently have a Leemar 135 gallon glass tank. I like it, but I suffer the same affliction as most of you. I-need-a-bigger-tank-itis. I have ordered a new tank from Leemar.

96"L x 24"W x 30"H glass
Front pane will be Starphire (It will only be viewed from the front)
Black back
Two 5"x12" overflows in each rear corner
Each overflow will have two 1.5" drains and two 1" returns
It will be drilled for a 4 way closed loop, probably driven by a Hammerhead pump.

I will be keeping mostly SPS with a few softies on one side. I am planning on a 2" to 3" sandbed and will elevate the rock work with PVC shelves. I did this in my 135g and like it, but I didn't hide the PVC well enough. I want to figure out a way to glue rock rubble to the PVC shelves to hide them better. I will post a few pics of my current tank tomorrow. Perhaps you fine folks can help me improve on my current tank when the inhabitants are moved into the larger one.

ricks
12/14/2007, 09:19 AM
I would go at least 30" deep, if you can...

DaveMorris
12/14/2007, 09:31 AM
I did. 24"wide and 30" deep. If you are referring to 30" front to back, I don't have the room to do it.

ricks
12/14/2007, 09:46 AM
Yup, front to back I like the 30" tall size. But with 24" wide will make stocking cramped? Your rock work will be straight up and the depth for SPS could suffer. But I always say you work with wat u got...

Good Luck have fun...

DaveMorris
12/20/2007, 03:16 AM
Today I picked up a Sequence pump for my closed loop and a new sump. It is interesting gathering together all of the bits and pieces while anxiously awaiting the delivery of the tank itself.