PDA

View Full Version : 29 gal bio cube

hunkafish
12/14/2007, 11:02 AM
Putting water in new biocube tonight with live sand and about 55 lbs of live rock. has protean skimmer upgrade, charcoal filter pad and bio balls. Two nano hydor's for flow, 1-36watt actinc and 1-10k. any sugestions on do's and don'ts, that I need to address now before I fire it up. How long to cycle? best coarals for these lights?

Thanks, Hunkafish

Kanthus
12/14/2007, 11:38 AM
Take out the bioBalls, Nitrate factorys they are.

hunkafish
12/14/2007, 01:19 PM
If I remove Bio balls what can i do in that area to help the tank?

Thizzelle686
12/14/2007, 05:01 PM
How did you get 55lbs of live rock in that tank???

hunkafish
12/14/2007, 09:05 PM
Just finished putting in sand and Live Rock only 44lbs fit I'll post pics next day or two.

robertparker
12/15/2007, 07:10 PM
I have carbon in a media bag in the chamber where the bioballs go. Tanks been going for over a year no problems. Knock on wood!

scottydo
12/18/2007, 02:57 PM
Where's the pics? It didn't happen if you don't have pics.

hunkafish
12/18/2007, 03:43 PM
So Scottydo you doub't it do you, well I guess your calling me out. I'll get my camera out and figure out how to post, just for you. I was waiting till I re did LR its just crammed right now taking 10lbs back to the LFS when I get water tomarrow. trust me $800 and still going and havn't even started the big tank, your right I owe a pic, and when your right your right. At least I know someone out there cares and that feels good. thanks for the kick in the but, we all need it from time to time. LOL

martinphillip03
12/18/2007, 03:57 PM
The carbon is a good idea. Also some people use live rock instead of the bioballs. I don't know if this applies to you

Marty

hunkafish
12/19/2007, 10:24 PM
Learning to get pics on here was a pain, This ones for You Scottydohttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/173763Bio_cube_29_008.jpg

hunkafish
12/19/2007, 10:27 PM
Its Cycling 2-3 more days then 2 maroon and gold stripe clownshttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/173763Bio_cube_29_007.jpg

musicman
12/20/2007, 03:48 PM
Wow, I really like that! Like you, I'm going to be starting back up again after not having a tank for awhile. I'm planning on starting some kind of nano in my office first, that way it's a business expense!!

Can I ask what made you choose the BioCube over the other types of setups available? I'm still trying to figure out what I want. I know I'll want really strong lighting (probably at least 150w of halide, plus PC supplements) for SPS, etc.

That stand looks really good with the tank, too! Did those platic "feet" come with it, or is that something you added yourself?

Keep posting updates! I want to follow this one. =)

jdpierce21
12/20/2007, 06:41 PM
Nice job. Looks like you are off to a great start.

hunkafish
12/20/2007, 09:30 PM
I chose the Bio Cube for Bang for the buck $199.00, then added skimmer $50-heater $14- Stand-$130. In hind site I probably would go with a Finnex system, or a Red Sea. Red Sea's come with the skimmer heater stand etc all intagrated in. Bio-cube and red Sea have a clean look. My BioCube only has 2 power compcats and three moon lights I'll stick with LPS and soft corals.

AHHH The Legs, I bought them a while back at bed Bath and beyond, they are made to raise a bed 8" higher. They are supper stabble,Strong(hold King bed with people) and matched the Bio-cube color to a T. The stand tank just looked low to me and with the legs it sits up and can be seen from three rooms. I still can reach in the tank (Im Tall) and can actually slide the whole kit and cabootle carefully.

I have played with this tank every day since I received it, it is cycling only a day or two away from a couple of fish.

Good luck with your choice, with the right tweaking you can make it what you want. We have ways, ya know DRip-Drip DRIP DRIP oh thats only the CIA that uses that, BUT WE do Have ways!! LOL
Im tired and cracking myself up

billq
12/21/2007, 02:04 AM
Hi,

I have a BC29 as well. It's been set up since July and everything seems fine. Haven't lost anything since very early on. But I want to add a skimmer too, what skimmer do you use?

markoantoniojr
12/21/2007, 08:18 AM
i replaced the bioballs with the tunze skimmer the tunze pack came with a media holder also and thats where i put carbon or you can use any media you like it has a pump built in it i put the media in the bottom and the filter floss on top i change the carbon once a month and the floss once every week or 2 depending on how dirty it looks.... as for the filter that came with the biocube i cut out the pad threw the carbon out and bought the blue filter pads and cut them to size to fit the rectangular shape of the cartridge i keep it on with a rubber band and it slide right on to the track it goes on..i use this as a prefilter for the return pump and skimmer. i'll try to submit pics i just dont know how.

markoantoniojr
12/21/2007, 08:44 AM
pic

markoantoniojr
12/21/2007, 09:09 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=163338&cat=500&thumb=1

dont know how to post a pic

billq
12/21/2007, 10:04 AM
Can you tell me which model it is? They seem to have quite a few...and very nice tank, hopefully mine will be that nice when I'm finished....hmmm, finished, maybe I won't ever be "finished"...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11431751#post11431751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by markoantoniojr
i replaced the bioballs with the tunze skimmer the tunze pack came with a media holder also and thats where i put carbon or you can use any media you like it has a pump built in it i put the media in the bottom and the filter floss on top i change the carbon once a month and the floss once every week or 2 depending on how dirty it looks.... as for the filter that came with the biocube i cut out the pad threw the carbon out and bought the blue filter pads and cut them to size to fit the rectangular shape of the cartridge i keep it on with a rubber band and it slide right on to the track it goes on..i use this as a prefilter for the return pump and skimmer. i'll try to submit pics i just dont know how.

markoantoniojr
12/21/2007, 11:27 AM
oceanic biocube 29 gallons i don't see a model number
its the one with the sturdy stand with doors.

the others have a stand only no compartment area.

markoantoniojr
12/21/2007, 11:37 AM
its the one hunka fish has
thanks for the compliment. i've been in this for 6months the first 3 i spent alot, now i just leave it alone . i test weekly and write things down. i know its tempting to redecorate but i feel like i'll mess things up and ruin the tank.
i keep all my hammer frogs on top and my gsp zoo mushrooms on the bottom.i had a frag of zenias but for some reason they melted... i'm still new at this and learning i may upgrad and get a bigger tank one day...only problem i'm having is evaporation, in the summer time i had a little now that i put the heat in the house it evaps more and i'm replaceing 1 gallon evry 2 days .. i had to put a small house fan on top of the existing cooling fan to keep it below 80.

its still evaps alot, if i get a 100 gallon or bigger im just scared about how much water would evap daily.

billq
12/22/2007, 07:08 AM
Oh, sorry, I meant the model number on the skimmer....

hunkafish
12/23/2007, 06:54 PM
Bill Im useing the bio cube skimmer and it works suprisingly well I clean it daily when I test the water it takes less than a min. I swap wood air stones every few days clean and sand down to open pours on wood. wood gets clogged with a little sand paper sitting looking at the tank Im done in 5 min. Hey mark its ok you borrowed my thread i like your tank very nice. i put in my first corals yeaterday and first fish today. I was donated a couple of Green Hatian mushrooms and some Zoo's a big rock covered in Blue ones a small piece of Green/brown. then added a Galaxia today with a Frosted red Fether duster. First two fish are a Flame Angel and a Pigmy angel. Pic's later Im strugling with getting them on too.

robertparker
12/25/2007, 09:38 PM
tank after 1 year

robertparker
12/25/2007, 09:42 PM
Icant for thttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/141884recent_tank_pic.jpg he life of me figure out the pic posting