PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches from outside of glass tank?

bigevill1
12/14/2007, 12:32 PM
Does anybody have any easy/good ways to remove scratches from the outside of a glass tank? I have a few that really need to go. It is bad enough when you get scratches on the inside from falling rocks and such, but I have some long ones on the outside from my canopy doors falling off and scrapping the glass on the way down.

TroyPierce
12/14/2007, 12:58 PM
On the outside, you can use a buffing wheel and polishing compound. You may need to use a couple of different 'grits' of Polish with the final one being an ultra fine one to polish the glass. If you don't, you may get rid of the scratch and end up with a "frosted" area.

If the scratches aren't too deep, this should work well. On deep scratches, the best you can do is minimize them.

You can get buffing wheels and compounds at Home Depot or Lowes.

bigevill1
12/14/2007, 01:08 PM
Do I have to worry about those compounds seeping thru the glass at all and harming the fish and corals in the tank?

TroyPierce
12/14/2007, 01:20 PM
The buffing compounds won't leach through the glass or seals. You will, however, need to protect any tank trim you don't want to ruin.

The polishing compounds are, essenially, very fine abrasive powder in a paste base and you're actually "sanding" the glass. Anyplace the buffing wheel touches will be likewise sanded.

bigevill1
12/14/2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks