PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

sloburn
12/14/2007, 10:01 PM
Ok this is what I have came up with so far. Its probly going to take 6 months before I am ready to start adding coral and fish but it will give me time to do everything right. So I am looking to go 120 gal. with 29 gallon sump/refuge. Running 2 250 watt MH 20k. Then having 2 10k flour and 2 actinic 48' and some moonlights. Plan on getting a skimmer that can handle up to 300gal.
Plan on using 200lbs of live rock (starting out with 75 lbs of live and 125 of base rock) enought live sand to give me a 3 or 4 inch sand bed will be seeding argonite play sand with about 25% live sand. Will this set up be plenty to allow my taste to grow without having ot do a huge over haul once I decide to go to a little more demanding corals?

Its either take my time and do this set up or go with a 29 gal nano to get my feet wet in the reef hobby.

steven_dean17
12/14/2007, 10:04 PM
That sounds good to me!

demonsp
12/14/2007, 10:09 PM
I wouldnt wait that long to add some stock. Your tank would be better off. Some CUC for SB and LR cleaning. A few coral for pratice and a fish or two . Start with a few CUC then next week a coral or fish least aggresive to most. next week few more CUC and a fish or coral. Then you would be better off.

kzickovich
12/14/2007, 10:10 PM
bigger tank would be easier and more stable

BangkokMatt
12/14/2007, 10:12 PM
The set up sounds good. Research and get a good quality skimmer.

sloburn
12/14/2007, 10:12 PM
would it be better towait for all the rock to transform into living? I figured after everything was cycled about a couple of weeks after that add some of the cleaning crew. How long does it usualy take for the sand and base rock to be seeded? Also I said 6 months because I am going to be buying things a little bit at a time.

demonsp
12/14/2007, 10:26 PM
Its best to get as much or the minimum of 1 lb per gallon atleast upfront for cycle. But base cab be added any time and i reccommend a 50/50 mix of base and LR. If you have any LR then reseeding depends on water quality. Within in months you will coraline and pods .

bbehring
12/14/2007, 11:18 PM
Having a reef tank is fantastic. I hope your experience is as rewarding as mine has been. A 125 g is a good size first tank, and you seem to be heading toward good system specs. With the lighting you mentioned, you might need a chiller or at min good evap fans blowing on the sump and display. MH build a lot of heat. Buy the best in sump skimmer you can afford and don't skimp. Make sure the skimmer you buy will fit into the supply section of the sump (or the area designed for the skimmer) and that the collection cup and the skimmer can be removed from out of the sump and from under the stand (if this is where you are placing the sump?). If you can, buy good quality live rock. At least 1.5 lbs/gal. Cycle will be shorter and less algae bloom. After you get the wet testing done and get the SW, sand, live rock in, about 8 to 10 days later , add a good size clean up crew. I've always had quite a few snails and hermits and have never had an algae problem. Plan on adding in a charcoal and/or phos ban reactor. I run pura complete in a single reactor and this has worked very well for me. I've always done smaller percentage water changes each week (5%) with a 10% WC at the end of the month. This has always served me well for good nutrient export along with good skimming. Also look into auto top off. It's a dog to add evap water each day. Use RODI water source only, no tap. Put the plan into motion and get that puppy up and running. Oh ya, buy the withdrawl drugs now to help with your progressing addiction! This hobby sucks you in! Warn your family of withdrawl from the family unit now! One more thing, start selling widgets on Ebay or get a 2nd or 3rd job.