PDA

View Full Version : Outer Orbit Problem

CharAznable
12/15/2007, 10:45 AM
I purchased a Current USA 1078 on Monday. I just got it last night. I plugged everything in but I noticed a problem. The T5 lights in the front bay aren't working. They tick but never come on. If I unseat the one closer to the HQI bulbs then the other one will turn on fine. I have tested both bulbs and they both work fine when connected to the outer most socket on their own so the problem must be with the T5 ballast or the socket. I have sent a message to Current USA and the vendor I bought it from but I thought I would ask if anyone here had experienced a similar problem or could offer help. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

papagimp
12/15/2007, 11:07 AM
Since you just bought the thing, I'd reocmmend not worrying about it and let the warranty deal with it. Try and fix it yourself and you will void any manufacturers warranty's.

I'm no electrician so i can't really give any good advice on the problem though. Sounds like a bad endcap or wiring to me, but that's just guesses their.

CharAznable
12/15/2007, 11:31 AM
I was checking because sometimes there warranty involves sending replacement parts so I was trying to see what it might be.

papagimp
12/15/2007, 12:17 PM
ah, gotcha. Well, the fixtures are actually quit simple. Got a ballast, wiring, endcaps, and the bulb. (reflectors too, but a bad reflector won't make the bulbs stop working).

You know the bulbs are working, so that leave ballast wiring and endcaps. Not 100% but about 99% sure they have a single ballast for both those t5 bulbs. My impression would be that if the ballast was bad, neither bulb would fire (course alot of that would depend on how the ballast is wired I guess), so my thoughts would be narrowed down to the endcaps and/or wiring, possible a bad ground somewhere.

If you are unfamiliar with retrofit lighting and/or DIY lighting, may try calling a few of the LFS's there and see if one would be willing to help fix this issue....IF warranty send replacment parts and not just the whole thing. Last fixture that went bad on me (ballast) I knew it was the ballast and they just sent me a new one, LFS I bought it from fixed it at no charge and in about 5 minutes. Took that long since customers kept coming in the store too.

Hope that helps some.

CharAznable
12/15/2007, 02:53 PM
I looked in through the side and figured out what it was. It was a pinched wire. I scooted the wire out of the pinched zone and the lights came right on.