PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Reactor media not tumbling

matasw
12/15/2007, 03:50 PM
Not sure what i'm missing here. Trying to setup this offbrand reactor but the media on top isn't tumbling. I've got ~350g of Seachem spherical carbon in there. Is that to much? The reactor is just about identical to the two little fishies one but no ball valve. The media is about 3/4 of an inch below the top plate. At first I thought maybe I didn't have enough flow with a MJ 400 so I put a MJ 1200 on there and it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

What am I missing?

papagimp
12/15/2007, 03:53 PM
Does the instruction state that the carbon should be tumbling like that? I've got a calcium reactor and nothing tumbles in it, the flow is spread over the entire media surface and not restricted to one tiny area, which would cause some tumbling. Just a thought.

radone
12/15/2007, 04:06 PM
I don't think your going to get the carbon to tumble, the two little fishies version is what I'm using and my carbon will not tumble. I wouldn't want it to.
The phosban tumbles and is suppose to.

I run both units off the return plumbing but control the flow to the one with phosban the other is wide open(still no tumbling, I've been alternating each one ever other week and works for me

Good Luck :cool:

matasw
12/15/2007, 04:08 PM
I guess I justed assummed it should tumble. I've got a lot of airbubbles dancing around at the top should it be that way?

matasw
12/15/2007, 05:22 PM
Didn't come with any instructions :(

radone
12/15/2007, 05:36 PM
The maxi400 should be fine you may be trying to push too much water thru it

radone
12/15/2007, 05:37 PM
Don't restrict the output, only the input or you'll be sorry