PDA

View Full Version : new tank setup...debating on protein skimmer and sump size

lowfi
12/15/2007, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone,

I am going to setup a 40 gallon tank with a sump and cant decide on what size of sump...15 or 20 gallons. The more important question is what protein skimmer to get for the sump. I want a skimmer that is $230-250 or less and definitely the best bang for the buck. What I had in mind originally was an octopus recirculating DNW-110 but then i heard they need all sorts of mods to work properly. I am a newbie so it is a very hard decision, I keep getting conflicting advice. I know you all are the best out there so I thought I would ask. After Xing the octopus (correct me if im wrong please!!) I was thinking about an ASM G1, or maybe even cutting the sump and getting an AquaC remora HOT. I am really confused and just need a little direction. Thank you very much if you can help.

Sean

uscharalph
12/15/2007, 11:26 PM
Get the biggest sump you can fit in your cabinet.

lowfi
12/15/2007, 11:29 PM
no opinion on brand names?

bertoni
12/16/2007, 12:22 AM
For a 40g tank, a hang-on skimmer is probably fine. That's likely what I'd do. A sump-refugium can be very handy, though. Hard to say. I'd be tempted to use the "sump" as a refugium only, if I decided to go for the more complicated system.

cpl40475
12/16/2007, 01:40 AM
although i didnt have any luck with the typhoon (d&d marine) hob others have said it would do really good on a 55 or less med bio load.I had mine on a 75. As far as sumps go i get one at least half the size of your tank and as bertoni mentioned id use it for cheato etc.

demonsp
12/16/2007, 01:44 AM
Depends on budget and what you want in this tank.What type of stock , coral and fish?

Sk8r
12/16/2007, 07:56 AM
Good question.
I use a 30g sump/fuge for a 54g tank, with an Aqua C EV 120 skimmer and a very light fish load, and have no trouble producing enough skimmate to justify that skimmer size.

lowfi
12/16/2007, 08:32 AM
i will probably have a pretty light load but eventually would like a lot of things in the tank. i might try to make a sump/refuge in the same tank....see im trying to do this hopeful upgrade thing eventually but just want the best i can get for now..

chillman
12/16/2007, 11:53 AM
I have a hot remora on my 33 gallon breeder and it works great - pulls dark skimmate out of water and never needs tinkering. I only have one or two fish in tank and mostly zoas and acans, moderately stocked. Very happy with remora though (I've got the one with the mj1200).