PDA

View Full Version : For those that have the bottom of their tanks drilled, any bulkheads failed?

sugartooth
12/16/2007, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking of drilling the bottom of my tank (acrylic) and am nervous about any of the bulkheads failing.

The purposed # of holes is 16....which makes me nervous.

This is a 10 ft x 4ft x 30" tank.

Any of you large tank owners with bottoms drilled encounter problems with schedule 80 bulkheads?

Thanks in advance for the input.

ycnibrc
12/16/2007, 04:31 PM
schdule 80 is heavy duty and if you intall it right then you shouldn't have any problem but nothing is 100% guarantee. But if you are worry then go with euro brace and drill the hole on top or in the back. Tunze pump will solve your bulkhead concern.

Reefaquariumnut
12/16/2007, 05:49 PM
Another failsafe I did when I installed sch 80 bulkheads was to put underwater cement between the bulkhead and the tank and around the perimeter of the bulkhead

sugartooth
12/17/2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the input. What is the brand of cement you used?

Have you had small leaks over time at all? I mean, any small leaks from twisting due to vibration over time?
Thanks again for any info!

Reefaquariumnut
12/18/2007, 10:13 AM
my reef isn't up yet, but i have pressure tested the seals...I bought some putty cement (saltwater safe) from Home Depot...I think it was called aquamend.

tgunn
12/18/2007, 10:30 AM
My 140 had three 1 1/2" bulkheads for a closed loop. The tank builder bought the wrong hole saw for the bulkheads and ended up shaving them down to make them fit the holes. Needless to say a year later the nuts popped on all three and one started to drip.

Luckily I had put them in with Dow Corning 795 sealant as well or they would have leaked quite drastically -- all three bulkheads were barely holding in.

I ended up sealing over the 3 bulkhead holes with larger 3/8" glass pieces siliconed over the holes. I had to tear down my entire tank to do this and ended up losing some livestock as a result.

Sure it was the builder's fault, but it was still a pain.

I went with tunzes now and I've never looked back. Less heat, MUCH less power.

Tyler

Untamed12
12/23/2007, 11:42 AM
My acrylic tank has 10 holes that are pretty deep. 4 are on the bottom...6 on the back wall about 6" high. The tank is 28" tall.

All have Hayward bulkheads. These were hand tightened into place only and are completely leak free.

When installing them, I had one person push on the bulkhead from the inside, while I hand tightened on the outside.

sugartooth
12/23/2007, 01:21 PM
Untamed- How long has the tank been set up?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still scared, but I don't really see a way around it in order to accomplish the type of flow I would like.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

dougchambers
12/23/2007, 01:43 PM
Sugar - For another reference, we have a glass tank drilled in the bottom with two 2" and two 1.5" bulkheads. The tank has been setup ~2-1/2 years and we haven't seen a single problem with the bulkheads.

http://135reef.chambersohana.com/sysdesign/130g1of2.jpg

-Doug

sugartooth
12/23/2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks very much Doug, it's very helpful.

Did you consult an engineer or anything for the placement of your holes? I was given the advice of 16 holes in the bottom of the tank for 4 closed loops total.

Also, would an inset bulkhead be a better idea than the regular holes? I was wondering if having these bulkheads inset would prevent any diggers (bristleworms) chewing away at the gasket?