PDA

View Full Version : Sponges and where to get them.

Runfrumu
12/16/2007, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking of maybe sticking a few sponges in my sump area to add some more natural filtration. I'm looking for low/no light types that are fairly hardy. Is it practical to even do this, or is the amount I'll need way beyong what would be reasonable to put in a system? (I have a 125 display with a megaflow 4 sump)

I've searched google and cant even find a place to by them, but I remember a link on here a while back for a site that had alot of different types.

ihopss
12/16/2007, 05:40 PM
Put some LR in and sponges will grow.

kar93
12/16/2007, 05:40 PM
Although most sponges will do just as good under low light they are hard to care for (not IME just what ive read and researhced), I think it would be better just adding some live rock, tube worms & other filter feeder. You could add sea squirts but IMO they are better off left in the ocean.

m2434
12/16/2007, 08:49 PM
They don't ship well at all - this may be why not many online vendors bother carrying them anymore.

greenbean36191
12/17/2007, 08:18 AM
From a filtration standpoint you would be better off just adding more corals to the main tank. The term "filter feeder" doesn't imply anything about what the animals like sponges, worms, etc. do for water quality, only that what they eat is suspended in the water. That's mostly bacteria, which also makes up a large chunk of most coral diets. Like all animals, sponges turn their food into waste (ammonia) which they excrete into the water. Corals however, cycle that ammonia with their zooxanthellae. Adding sponges to try to filter the water is roughly the same as adding more fish.