PDA

View Full Version : What size cube for a clown pair?

marciemp
12/17/2007, 05:03 AM
I have a 92 gallon tank that has been running for about a year. I would like to get a small tank and have a pair of true percula's and if lighting permits, and anemone for them. What is the smallest size tank that is recommended for a pair of percula clowns? I was looking at all in one set ups,which is the best, and which lighting would be best, without needing a chiller? Nothing I am planning on right now, just thoughts!
Marcie

NanoReefWanabe
12/17/2007, 07:29 AM
if you plan to keep a nem for them too i would say atleast a 29g

i have a pair of false percs in my 20...but no host anemone..

reefman13
12/17/2007, 08:09 AM
Agreed. 29g, is the absolute minimum. The most ideal, would be to use the 92g...

gsusfreak
12/17/2007, 03:00 PM
agreed....if just them and the nem, 29 gallon.....or if you have a 20L, i think that should be fine too

i have a pair of occelaris in my 20H, but no nem

scottydo
12/18/2007, 02:31 PM
With good filtration, I would say a 10G is enough for the two clowns, but not enough for the anemone.

marciemp
12/18/2007, 05:39 PM
so the minimum for a clown pair is 10 gallons and the minimum for a clown pair and an anemone is 29 gallons? Thanks. I would like to put one in the 92 gallon but it is a corner tank and hard to light well. It has a canopy and right now only a 36" PC light with 2 bulbs, not enough light for the tank at all, and the tank already gets too hot with that light in the canopy. We plan on upgrading the lighting soon, but since it is a corner tank it is very hard to figure out the lighting. I don't want to use MH since they get so hot ad we don't want a chiller. Our tank runs at 78-80 and it is cold outside (Canada), in the summer unless we left the canopy lid off, it was going up to 86 or higher. I was hoping to do t5's driven by an icecap ballast, but I would need a lot to fill the canopy, so we have to save up.

Anyhoo, if we did a smaller tank with just the clowns, what could we put in there that they might host with that is not an anemone?

Thanks,
Marcie

dragonforce
12/18/2007, 10:44 PM
You could probably do it if you got something like a 12g nano cube with a 70w or 150w HQI.

Frogspawn is my favorite alternative host, but many people have success with torch, hammer, mushrooms, leathers, and even xenia.

NanoReefWanabe
12/18/2007, 10:50 PM
anything that resembles a anemone, power head..mag float, pile of sand...clam...ETC..certain clowns will host anything some are very specific..

scottydo
12/18/2007, 11:36 PM
Also makes a difference on the clowns - many tank raised clowns have no idea what to do with an anemone, let alone something else.

scatty25
12/25/2007, 10:51 AM
You could also use an hob overfow and connect the 10 or 20 or whatever size to the 92.

kiknchikn
12/25/2007, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11415741#post11415741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoReefWanabe
anything that resembles a anemone, power head..mag float, pile of sand...clam...ETC..certain clowns will host anything some are very specific..

My clowns host a clay flowerpot lmao

I'll be doing a 29g for my oscellaris pair with an anemone hopefully. I don't think it's the size of the tank that matters as much as the water quality. More gallons = more stability. You could probably do a 10 or 20g tank as long as you have a sump adding to the water volume. I'm not an expert on anemone care though... so that's just a theory of mine.

Agu
12/25/2007, 09:28 PM
More important than size is security. In a small tank an anemone can wander into a powerhead intake or overflow pretty quickly. I kept a pair of oscellaris and bubbletip anemone for two years in a ten gallon tank. But after it started wandering and I got tired of cleaning sponge filters it went to an aquarist with a big tank.

I'd suggest at least 15 gallons and an all in one tank where it's easier to protect the anemone from itself.

BTW, my clowns were captive propagated and barely ever hosted in the anemone. They didn't miss it when it was gone