PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef RS vs RC

bigsink
12/17/2007, 10:19 AM
Can someone please explain the major differences between these two models of skimmer. What is the benefit of recirculating? Which one is better? What size model RS should I put on a 120 SPS reef tank with 40 gallon sump? What size RC model?

TY

Tennsquire
12/17/2007, 11:08 AM
I have each type of skimmer; a CS6-1 (now RS100) on my prop system, and an RC-135 on my display tank. On the RS models, the single pump feeds both air and water into the skimmer. On the RC model, the pump it comes with is solely for injecting air and recirculating water through the skimmer. You need to supply system water via another pump (in my case, I use a maxijet powerhead). I think the benefit of the RC models is that you can slow the flow down to increase the dwell time within the skimmer. With the RS, you need a higher level of flow to produce foam and to get it up into the cup. The downside of the RC is that they're butt expensive. They work very well, but they're overpriced (at least the Euroreef ones are).

Jim_S
12/17/2007, 11:10 AM
Someone should really post a sticky about RC/external vs standard/insump.....

RC (heavy duty) vs RS (budget)

RC is built with pvc welds that hold the skimmer together.
RS is built using acrylic bonding agents that hold the skimmer together.

RC vs Insump

RC/external skimmer:

1. Pump is situated on the skimmer as to draw water from the body and not the sump. This is to increase contact time within the skimmer.
2. There is less head on the pump so it is able to draw in sightly more air
3. RC skimmers require a feed source. This can be done through a drain or with a separate pump. RC skimmers don't come with this feed supply. Drain feeding is often considered one of the main bennefits of an RC skimmer
4. RC skimmers are not affected by sump water level.
5. RC skimmers can be run insump or externally and function the same either way
6. RC skimmers generally cost much more. The cost VS performance gained is often debated. There is no clear evidence that one is better than the other.

Typical RC skimmer:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/jimdogg187/Misc/RCskimmer.jpg

Insump

1. Pump attaches to the body so that it draws water directly from the sump. The skimmer is fed and mixes the water in the body with the same pump.
2. Water level in sump greatly affects the skimmer's performance. There must be a constant level for consistent performance.
3. Generally less expensive than RC/external models
4. Because the pump feeds and mixes the water, and air intake adjustments will affect the water throughput of the skimmer.

Typical insump skimmer

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/jimdogg187/Misc/Insumpskimmer.jpg

If I have left anything out (which I'm sure I have), please feel free to add it on :D

sjm817
12/17/2007, 11:49 AM
Good post Jim. Another thing that should be mentioned on the ER skimmers is noise. On the RS/RC 135 and down, the same pumps are used, so nose is ~ the same. On the RS/RC 180 and 250, the RS Use Gen-X and RC use Eheim pumps. The Eheim pumps are very quiet compared to the Gen-X.

bigsink
12/17/2007, 12:20 PM
Guys, thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Forum members like you make this hobby great!

killagoby
12/17/2007, 12:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11402722#post11402722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tennsquire
I have each type of skimmer; a CS6-1 (now RS100) on my prop system, and an RC-135 on my display tank. On the RS models, the single pump feeds both air and water into the skimmer. On the RC model, the pump it comes with is solely for injecting air and recirculating water through the skimmer. You need to supply system water via another pump (in my case, I use a maxijet powerhead). I think the benefit of the RC models is that you can slow the flow down to increase the dwell time within the skimmer. With the RS, you need a higher level of flow to produce foam and to get it up into the cup. The downside of the RC is that they're butt expensive. They work very well, but they're overpriced (at least the Euroreef ones are).

What should the flow rate through the sump be for a RS? I know the RC is 1 to 1.5 times. Right now I can't get my RS to skim anything out of the water. The water flowing through my sump is very slow.

Tennsquire
12/17/2007, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11403329#post11403329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by killagoby
What should the flow rate through the sump be for a RS? I know the RC is 1 to 1.5 times. Right now I can't get my RS to skim anything out of the water. The water flowing through my sump is very slow.

I never thought my CS6-1 did a great job until I did three things: 1), added a gate valve to better control the water level in the skimmer. It had previously had the original telescoping overflow that ER used, and it was a pain to adjust. 2), downsized to a Mag 7 for my return pump, thereby slowing down the flow through the sump. 3) (biggest change) Adding a Sedra 5000 to the skimmer in lieu of the stock 3500. The bigger pump makes all the difference in the world, as I think that the original skimmer was underpowered with the stock pump. It's on my prop system now, and I have to empty the cup at least once a week and it's nasty, dark skimmate. With a bigger pump, you can get much more air into the mix and drive the skimmer better.

killagoby
12/18/2007, 09:48 AM
How did you add the gate valve?

viggen
12/18/2007, 12:49 PM
My ER was a 12-2 & I upgraded the pumps to the GenX 4100's & also added the gatevalve mod making it a RC-500. The pumps lasted about 18 months before the failed & they were VERY noisy their entire life. The skimmer is definantly made VERY well I am just VERY leary of the pumps due to how both of these performed for me. Personally the only pumps I would use from them is their eheim pumps. However the eheim pumps are also VERY expensive to replace :(