PDA

View Full Version : How do you get xenia off of a rock that cannot be moved?

smartang22
12/17/2007, 11:41 AM
The xenia are moving from the rock they were originally on and onto a large rock at the bottom of the tank. I cannot move this rock because other rocks are resting on it and the goby's lair is under it. Would the best way be taking a razor blade and scraping them off?

any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!

Blown 346
12/17/2007, 11:45 AM
Why move them? If they are moving there that is where they want to be and will just move somewhere else.

Otherwise by taking your finger at the very bottom base of them and the rock, slowly peel with your finger nail they will come off. If ther stalk is large then this wont happen. A pair of sharp scissors works for me. But you can have other Xenia grow from what is left on the rock.

smartang22
12/17/2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I just don't want them to take over that rock. I would like to have the grow on the glass. I read somewhere that someone had them growing like that. Or else I want them to stay on the smaller rock.

If you pull their mat up then you should be able to move that whole mat right? By "mat" I mean how they spread. I also don't want to leave any part of them on the rock so would removing them whole keep them from regenerating?

AlexB650
12/17/2007, 02:53 PM
use a screw driver and actually chizzle off the rock that they're sitting on. they're kinda like a mushroom. any piece that you leave behind will grow back into a new stalk.

irishsea
12/17/2007, 04:25 PM
Got rid of my xenia , Atleast when it grew on other rocks i swaped the rocks for other corals.

o.c.d.
12/17/2007, 04:31 PM
when you say move getting them off can be easy and sometimes not so easy.now once you have them off the re mount can be tricky. If you yell at them to stay they never listen so I prefer the natural method.Put something in the path rock rubble shell whatever you have and they will grow onto it slowly.then pull and trade or move to glass. doing this will keep to population in check and a constant supply.They don't always like to be ripped off.Tieing and glueing for remount like I said it can be tricky

oct2274
12/17/2007, 04:43 PM
best way i have found is just using an old toothbrush and start brushing away at the edge till it all peels off the rock. Alot of times i can even get it to come off in one perfect piece. much easier then breaking chunks of rock off lol.

virginiadiver69
12/17/2007, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11404968#post11404968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by o.c.d.
Put something in the path rock rubble shell whatever you have and they will grow onto it slowly.then pull and trade or move to glass.

This is the only way that works for me also. You will ALWAYS leave some behind with other methods.
They already moved once, they will do it again.