PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of ideas

usmc121581
12/17/2007, 06:30 PM
Today I went out and bought the Magnavore Pura Filtration Pads (http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10653/product.web).
I decided to use this wrap around the filter floss on a magnum canister filter. Because for the last 2 weeks I have been battling algea. It was never like this ever. I changed my rock work around about 1.5 months and since its been down hill. All my tests been the following
Before
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10
Phosphate:0

After
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10
Phosphate:0

I have been doing water changes every week since. I'm just at ends with this problem now as I have ran out of Ideas to help this out. The type of algea it is a green algea along all over the sand bed to the point were it actually can clump up. Then were the rock hits the glassand along the back of the glass is a brown type of algea. I dont think it has anything to do with not enough flow as I havent changed that. I just changed my halides today. As one of them was a little over 10 months old. All my actinics are about 4 months old.

HPD Turbo
12/17/2007, 06:45 PM
Did you try to cut back lights?, you Po4 is 0 maybe because it is eating by the algea.
Try some Phosgard/rowaphos on your CF.
A sump is allway better.

usmc121581
12/17/2007, 06:50 PM
I do have a sump/refug. But that hasnt worked lately. I figured the algea is storing or eating the phos. I am only using the CF for the phos pad as I was not going to pay almost $40 for phas-ban or similier. I did cut back on lights and it seemed to get worse so I went back to the normal time. I am going to just keep the actinics on for a couple days to see if that works.

mm949
12/17/2007, 07:43 PM
black it for 3-5 days....if algae still there its nutrients if gone OLD bulbs....

rppvt
12/17/2007, 07:48 PM
also, PO4 has a tendency to hide in precipitate long after the sources are cut off- stripping it out of LR takes a while. I had to cut back my MH's by about an hour in order to kill (starve?) the algae. that and keep up the water changes. good luck

usmc121581
12/17/2007, 07:51 PM
Ill try the black it for a couple days and see what that does. I never been through this I think thats why its so fustrating.

Conesus_Kid
12/17/2007, 07:59 PM
What kind of macroalgae are you running in your fuge?

You may want to try the Phosban.

usmc121581
12/17/2007, 08:05 PM
Cheato. I will once I get up to lancaster Pa. I forbid to pay $40 for it.

usmc121581
12/18/2007, 05:44 AM
Well I think I figured out what it could be. This past week end I removed my skimmer pump to clean it. When I did that I noticed that the ceramic shaft was broke. I noticed that th skimmer isnt working right so that is why I cleand it. Then I used to have 2 bags of phosban in my sump but removed them because it was a coupl months old.

ycnibrc
12/18/2007, 06:14 AM
add some more flow to the bottom,dose some kalk for top off and in couple week you will see your algea go away. Most algea outbreak is cause by lack of flow that's why detritus can accumulate in the sand bed and it's a phosphate factory for the algea to consume. Try to vacume your sand bed and you will see how much detritus are underneath the sand. By adding kalk help boost the cal level also percipitate phosphate so it will help you both way.

usmc121581
12/18/2007, 06:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11408982#post11408982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ycnibrc
add some more flow to the bottom,dose some kalk for top off and in couple week you will see your algea go away. Most algea outbreak is cause by lack of flow that's why detritus can accumulate in the sand bed and it's a phosphate factory for the algea to consume. Try to vacume your sand bed and you will see how much detritus are underneath the sand. By adding kalk help boost the cal level also percipitate phosphate so it will help you both way.

I have over x40 trun over rate in my tank. If I add more flow I will blow my LPS of the rocks. I have also always dosed kalk in my top off water. If I dose my kalk then I am now my PH will raise dramatically.