PDA

View Full Version : metal halides

sk8rreefgeek
12/18/2007, 04:16 PM
I know this should be posted in the lighting section (sorry)

But what are the advantages/disadvantages of metal halide lighting as opposed to t5 or compact flo?

what does t5 mean?:eek1:

mudskipper1
12/18/2007, 05:11 PM
T5's are fluorescent tubes that are 5/8" in diameter, There are also T6, T8, T12. The number represents the number of eighths of an inch the tubes are in diameter. T5's are the newest kind, and are the brightest, and the most efficient.

Metal Halides are the most intense kind of light, so they are one of the only options for deeper tanks. T5's (if there are enough) can grow just about anything down to 24", and you get a better choice as to the color of the light, because you can choose a different spectrum for each bulb. T5 do not put out as much heat so you are less likely to need a chiller. Metal Halide generally use more electricity, but they create a shimmering effect that some put a high value on. The bulbs of Metal Halide must be replaced more often than fluorescent tubes.

Power Compact or Compact Fluorescent lighting is a cheaper alternative to T5 or MH, but it is not as intense. This means that you can not keep the more light demanding organisms. However, I keep Montipora Digitata(a Hardy SPS) under PC, but it is about 8" under the lights. If you plan to keep just softies and LPS, and hardy SPS, I would go with PC because of the price.

-Eric

phenom5
12/18/2007, 06:08 PM
there's a saying...

once you go MH, you never go back.

okay...maybe not a cliche saying, but definitely true. :thumbsup:

mg426
12/18/2007, 06:22 PM
I am never going back

AMIFL
12/18/2007, 06:34 PM
I also favor halides.

~SIRENA~
12/18/2007, 06:37 PM
The shimmering effect is amazing. I would not use any other light. I have a Hamilton 400watt 14k bulb. Love it!

~SIRENA~
12/18/2007, 06:38 PM
MH - that is :)

Racing1
12/18/2007, 06:41 PM
MH is the way to go. That shimmer effect just makes it pop...

ReefSparky
12/18/2007, 06:42 PM
Mudskipper gave a great comparison/contrast. (Contrast, get it!?!)

I have a 55 gal tank that's 21" deep. I'm about to buy a 5 bulb T5 fixture. For the money, it's a good choice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Out of curiousity, all you MH owners, is a chiller a necessity for you? Also, did you see any difference in your light bill after you started running the MHs?

~SIRENA~
12/18/2007, 06:51 PM
It does run hot, but mine is in a canopy and I have yet to add a fan. I will shortly. No, the light bill hasn't changed too much. I don't run them for too long. I only have fish at the moment so I do cut back. My temp goes up to fluctuates from 79 to 81.7 .

phenom5
12/18/2007, 06:57 PM
Out of curiousity, all you MH owners, is a chiller a necessity for you? Also, did you see any difference in your light bill after you started running the MHs?

I have two 4" computer fans in my canopy, and I had to turn them down b/c they were making it too cool in there. so no, a chiller is not necessary.

tinmanny
12/18/2007, 08:21 PM
I just got MH and the shimmer is beautiful and the light is awsom
I met a fellow reefer that has her sump in the basement and has a very large sump DT is 240g sump is 100g and she seldom has to turn the house air to keep it in the right temp

usmc121581
12/18/2007, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11413714#post11413714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefSparky
Mudskipper gave a great comparison/contrast. (Contrast, get it!?!)

I have a 55 gal tank that's 21" deep. I'm about to buy a 5 bulb T5 fixture. For the money, it's a good choice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Mine doesnt run hot. As for electric bill I cant answer that as I get it free and dont need to worry about it.

sk8rreefgeek
12/19/2007, 11:46 AM
Sounds like MH is the top choice, but can also get by with flo's.
Thanks for all the help!

bonddog
12/19/2007, 05:30 PM
i couldnt tell u the diffrence i bought 3 250 watt mh right off the bat and i love them

usmc121581
12/19/2007, 07:29 PM
Got MH?

sk8rreefgeek
12/21/2007, 10:43 AM
I went into the FS last night and they're running 2 big metal halide fixtures on their "walk around" display. I'm not sure what they were running exactly, or if the fans were off...but they were puttin off some HEAT! they sure look nice tho

wrott
12/21/2007, 10:51 AM
2 x 65w CF heated my tank more than 1 150w MH.

MrSpiffy
12/21/2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think PC's really bring out the color as well in corals. But they're significantly cheaper. You can even find refurb models of CurrentUSA fixtures on tricitytropicals.com. I've bought from them a couple times with lots of success and good service.

But if you really want the best, go with T5 or MH. T5's do great, especially with individual reflectors, and can provide great light for nearly anything you could want to keep. But Halides, again, have that shimmer, and you can get higher-wattage bulbs for deeper tanks. T5's only have higher wattage bulbs for longer lengths. (Yes, there's the normal output (NO) and high output (HO) bulbs, but not the same selection as halides.) You're also more likely to find a cheaper, used halide setup in the selling forums. T5's are what people are really going after, since they're new, and reselling value is generally higher than MH, from what I've seen. It's up to you, what look you want. But you'll get good color and growth from both.

sk8rreefgeek
12/21/2007, 11:04 AM
thanks again for all the help. I think I'm going to get a nice T5 for my 55, and get a nice MH when I get my bigger tank. all I need now is a couple grand and some time off work

garygb
12/21/2007, 11:05 AM
I had MH and I went back, or at least to t-5HO. I like the T-5's better because they are cooler and I prefer the consistent brightness throughout the tank. I initially had pc's, then I had MH's for over a year. A few months ago I went to T-5's.

MrSpiffy
12/21/2007, 11:24 AM
Yep, that's one of the downsides to MH. They're point-sources of light. T5's and PC's provide better overall coverage of the tank. But sometimes it's nice to have the contrast of different intensities of light. Again, it's all in what you're looking for in a lighting system.

I've also heard that T5's can also give a little bit of shimmer, too, since the bulbs are smaller. Do you see that at all in your tank, garygb?

mudskipper1
12/21/2007, 11:33 AM
yeah I know someone who has an 8-bulb tek T5 fixture over a 120, he can keep whatever he wants anywhere in the tank, and he gets a little bit of shimmer and awesome colors.

MrSpiffy
12/21/2007, 01:04 PM
If you get shimmer with T5's, it might just be the best of both worlds. :) I've yet to see a T5 setup in person, but I would imagine the light output has a different look to it. Does it have that fluorescent look to it? Or does it look more like halides than NO fluorescents and PC's?

phenom5
12/21/2007, 01:11 PM
If you get shimmer with T5's, it might just be the best of both worlds. I've yet to see a T5 setup in person, but I would imagine the light output has a different look to it. Does it have that fluorescent look to it? Or does it look more like halides than NO fluorescents and PC's?

T5's still have that fluorescent look (they still provide a nice look) opposed to MH which is a point source light. You really can't beat the look of MH IMO.

OranguTang
12/21/2007, 01:26 PM
Yep T5 has a "solid" look to it, no shimmer. Great lights though I ran them for a while. But eventually ( just now ) switched to halides.

GuyAFA
12/22/2007, 10:22 AM
There's a great article in the current Reefkeepers magazine (link on ReefCentral home page). It breaks it down very well for you. I started with the Outer Orbit unit with both T5 and MH. I am currently running blue actinic T5s and 150w 20K MH. It makes for a bluer look but the colors in my tank pop. The down side is that growth is very slow. Any comments on running 20K MH?