PDA

View Full Version : dead rock - live rock

fatmtbiker
12/18/2007, 08:13 PM
So, I have been told that to save money one thing you can do it to buy dead rock and sand and seed it with live rock and sand.

Here is my question.

Can your tank catch any unwanted bugs from this stuff? I have been told that a hospital tank is the best thing you can do and to keep anything that goes into your main tank in there for 4 weeks to make sure. What if something is on your live rock that you get from a buddy?

Reefer07
12/18/2007, 08:22 PM
There is going to be bugs and critters and worms in any live rock whether you get it from a store a buddy or anything. Even if you put it in a "hospital" tank they will stay in there.
If the rock is somewhat cured it is going to have critters. I wouldn't be too concerned about bugs and such as they will develop in your tank either way.

poppin_fresh
12/18/2007, 08:37 PM
There is always a chance that you can get something from Live Rock from another tank...or the Ocean for that matter. Unfortunately, even a four week quarantine will not allow for a cleansing of the rock, which will defeat the purpose.

Using some base and live rock is an acceptable way to start a system. As long as you are getting the LR and sand from a decent, reliable set up, you should be fine.

KD9RG
12/19/2007, 07:48 AM
If you buy it from an reputable shop it should be fine and I would put it right into the show tank.