PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Vs. 2 part dosing

five.five-six
12/18/2007, 10:00 PM
I have run both systems, I ran a Knop reactor in the 90's successfully for years, but with my current set up, I am currently dosing 2 part, at this point 200 ml /day

I would just like to re evaluate the pros and con's of each, perhaps I will change over. here are a couple things I am thinking about

Money:

Setup for a 2 part system seems to be about 1/2 of a reactor, now that the tom aqualift is available for $20 each, more like 1/4 the price. long term it seems like Co2 refills and media are in the same ball park as bulk 2 part

Adjustability:

It seems to me that it is pretty easy to up or down the amount of 2 part by changing the dosing period. adjusting output from a reactor seems a bit more complicated

Reliability:

Seems to me that there are several points of failure in a reactor system, the effluent can get clogged, bubble rates are hard to regulate. wit two part, you have to make sure your tanks do not run dry or your lines clog with precipitant

Effectiveness:

From my experience, they both seem very effective methods of maintaining alkalinity and calcium

Concerns:

with a reactor, you need to be concerned with low pH caused by the Co2 in the effluent. IIRC over long term, 2 part can cause some fairly severe Ionic imbalances

MO Will
12/18/2007, 11:01 PM
I currently use two part but I am thinking of switching - interested to see the results

twon8
12/19/2007, 12:07 AM
i top off with kalk and use two part in addition to that.

Billybeau1
12/19/2007, 03:13 AM
I didn't vote but believe the answer lies in the consumption rate of your tank and your available time for husbandry.

Calcium reactors are excellent for tanks using alot of calcium. Some reefers have lightly stocked tanks that don't require reactors and do just fine with 2-part. Even others maintain calcium and alkalinity with just limewater.

Even some (believe it or not) don't supplement anything and rely on small weekly water changes to maintain their parameters.

Some have a lot of time to spend mixing and adding and maintaining and yet others would rather let the mechanical aspects of the hobby do the work for them.

:)

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2007, 07:16 AM
I personally use limewater, but all three methods work and have pros and cons. I compare them here:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

BreadmanMike
12/19/2007, 08:20 AM
I use kalk and a weekly 25% water change to keep things where I want them.

Aquarist007
12/19/2007, 11:32 AM
I don't keep sps corals so I don't have the huge demands for calcium like billybeau stated.
There I use 2 part b-ionics and it has also indirectly brought stability to my pH at the same time it has to calcium and alk levels

If I need to raise the calcium level at all I use Kent turbo calcium and if I need to raise alk I use Kent super dKh.

I find this effortless to maintain, easy to admin, affordable, and it brings great stability to water parameters.

Mike O'Brien
12/19/2007, 12:04 PM
I prefer to dose by hand. I really didn't like my CR all that much. Like you said, it's hard to keep running the same all the time.

five.five-six
12/20/2007, 05:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11416842#post11416842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I personally use limewater, but all three methods work and have pros and cons. I compare them here:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for, there are several articles on individual systems, this is the first overview of various systems that I have seen.

the only thing I would like to see addressed is the bulk 2 part dosing price. looks like for premixed, it will run several thousand dollars a year for a 100 gallon heavy stocked tank. I am using bulk limewater and bulk 2 part and would estimate my cost per annum to be $1-$2 per gallon

is there a preferred bulk calcium and or bulk alkalinity part?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2007, 07:25 AM
is there a preferred bulk calcium and or bulk alkalinity part?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean brands?

five.five-six
12/20/2007, 12:02 PM
~ As has been shown in other parts of this article, alkalinity can be provided as bicarbonate, carbonate, or hydroxide. I don’t know of any commercial supplements that use hydroxide ~

ok so here the options are soda ash and baking soda? the decision is based on your tank's general pH

~ manufacturers could use a variety of calcium salts in the calcium portion, for example. They could use calcium chloride, calcium sulfate, calcium bromide, and a variety of other similar salts. ~

I guess this is where I am saying "hmm, I wonder which one is best"

here is one for you or I am sure boomer can take it:

please don't LOL at me as my chemistry background i s nonexistent, in the article you refer to "a variety of calcium salts" I always thought that "salt" meant it had chloride in it

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2007, 12:24 PM
To a scientist, salts can be many things other than chloride. :)

ok so here the options are soda ash and baking soda? the decision is based on your tank's general pH

Or hydroxide. Limewater uses hydroxide. Just not any alkalinity -only supplements that I know of. :)

I guess this is where I am saying "hmm, I wonder which one is best"

Each has pros and cons. None is best in every case, and that's why different reefers choose different methods for their systems. :)